Drinking water while diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have taken hard candy on dives to suck on so that I don't get cotton mouth. Don't choke on it obviously.

nothing new here---it's been done since the 50's when ole Mike Nelson was roaming around UW....

When cave diving in Florida springs. I frequently remove my regulator and take a few big gulps of fresh spring water. On 90-110 minute dives it helps with dehydration. Of course you want to be upstream of your buddy with a pee valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take a water bottle, fill it up about halfway, and freeze it (with the cap loose, so it doesn't split). When I'm ready to go, I top it off with water, and put it in my float. That way, I have a nice cold source of water during my surface intervals.

Adam

Curious, is it being done? Drinking water from a brought with you container during a dive?

in fresh water i often swish some around and gargle to help with dry mouth but i don't swallow it. on vacation in salt water i carry one of those camel packs as mentioned before. took some practice but is pretty simple. again, i just swish it. i've had my throat so dry at times it seems to actually stick closed. not a nice feeling.

Dr Dive sez: There used to be a product called SCUDA. Self Contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus. My wife had one, because she gets salt sick. Worked great. Eventually, the bladder fell apart, but we salvaged the hose, and mouthpiece and have adapted the ubiquitous bottled water bottle to take the place of the bladder, with an adjustment on the attachment for the bottle. Works great, because the water goes directly into the mouthpiece, with no need to remove the regulator. She can rinse the salt out anytime, take a drink, axe the cottonmouth. In the absence of legacy pieces parts, commonly available parts can be utilized. Plus, it's water, with no thirst generating sugars. McGiver strikes again.

Back
Top Bottom