Hollis or DSS single tank wing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why no single tank adapter? It seems to me that a STA is the better solution.

Why no single tank adapter? It seems to me that a STA is the better solution.

When traveling I like to take as little as possible. A STA will mean increased weight and takes up a little more room in my luggage. My home setup has a STA. My travel wing uses a built-in STA. Additionally, adding a STA means more money for your gear.

In cold water and with large tanks, a good STA (Hollis OK, Light Monkey or Halcyon weighted STA even better) is the way to go - 6 lbs moved to the back and increased stability on the tank - i even bring my weighted STA to warm water dives so i don't need a weight belt. DSS wings are good and would prefer them to the Hollis, but I'm partial to Tecline.

As far as I am concern spreading the weight in any form is one thing but ditchable weight(weight belt) is here to stay.

... not so. I commonly dive 119 and 130 tanks with my DSS Torus 35 ... got well over 1200 dives on that wing and have never noticed any lack of stability ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Tobin must have a better system than most. I've tried the DR, Hollis, HOG, and Oxycheqs and have found the tanks to be a lot less stable than on an STA, but have only ever dove Tobins doubles wings.

I use a DSS backplate and a DSS LCD 30 wing with a 15L(~HP120 IIRC) steel tank almost every dive and have never felt any shift. I see no need for an STA.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. The dive shop a little over an hour from me has a complete DSS single tank rig for $460 CAN compared to just the wing from DSS for $305 US plus shipping and duty. So I will probably go for the complete rig and sell my old one.

Any STA is going to increase the torque of the tank to the plate... I prefer the DSS setup, but, to each their own.

Another vote for the quality of DSS and Oxycheq wings. Golem Gear is good too. Haven't dived a Hollis yet so I can't say, but in general AUP makes great gear. I don't think you can go wrong between these choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom