Keys in late December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WizardTrips

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am thinking abt trying to get a few days of diving in as I could find myself in the Florida Keys from Jan 27th to Jan 2nd. I'm a newish diver (less than 20 dives) and I do not own a 7mm (I have 3mm and 1mm).

What sort of action can I expect that time of year? Any shop or resort recommendations? I do own a travel company but I did not see many deals offered like you see for other locals. Planning to try out Dive Buddy on Bonaire in March. Haha. I would love to specialize in dive grps because I would be like.... Hey I want to come! Lol. I digress. Hey isn't that the what divemasters do? Eventually turn their passion into their occupations? I digress again.

Florida Keys in late Dec. Advice?

Brandi

---------- Post added September 14th, 2014 at 02:36 PM ----------

So what is interesting is Padi is not one of my suppliers but I do have dive suppliers and it is pretty much Padi as it is the same deals and the same search engine. Looks identical. The Florida Keys does not seem to be a search option! Ugh.

WizardTrip: Most of my diving is in Florida. From what I hear about places like Bonaire, there really aren't the same sort of resorts around here. The closest experience to a resort that I can think of include:

-Amy Slates Amoray; I've not stayed there but they have cottages and dive boats.

-Rainbow Reef and the Marriott Courtyard next to it. I think RR offers hotel/dive packages

-Have a rental car and stay at Ocean Pointe condos and dive with Conch Republic Divers: I've done this several times. CDR might also have some other package deals

-I know some of the other dive operators like Silent World, Horizon, Quiescence, Ocean Divers offer hotel/dive packages: you'd have to talk to each one or check their website to see what sort of deals they have.

-Have a rental car and stay at the Hilton in Key Largo and dive with any of the operators noted above

Winter is not the real tourist diving time of year. Summer is more the highlight of the season but this summer has not been that good the water was close to 90 degrees in many parts of the reefs and a lot of coral bleaching occurred. The winter is not bad by any means but it is the height of the tourist season ( All the Snowbirds show up) and 98% do not dive. Finding deals you will have to look around but Key Largo seems to be the area least affected by the warming waters. I would try a few dives at Key Largo, a few at Key West, and a couple in the middle keys. All areas have some excellent wreck reef dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom