gue accepting certs from another organisation, experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just said I want to know about the experiences. I know enough now. There are some possibilities written, but that are made impossible for outsiders, even if they maybe have good reasons. If you critisize this, then you are wrong. But it is allowed to write bad about other ways of diving. I have done my courses with different agencies, some courses where fine, some not. But there was never a feeling of not welcome. But I have this feeling here sadly.
Maybe divers are afraid of asking the question I asked that you cannot find experiences becuase they did not ask too?

I should stick this side of the pond....GUE is useful for people to people looking for dive buddies in an organised way...that is a benefit.

It actually still exists and its called a GUE Primer..

Focuses much more on why GUE, why the gear and workshops on the how for most of the skills.. There is no "pass/fail" pressure, its just a 2 day intro to GUE and the equipment and skills, etc.

Forgot about that. Fundies for Fundies.

hi koos. i skipped tech 1. i pm'd you some more info about it

I dont think that really qualifies as a "cross-over" that was an IE probably doing a check out dive with you to evaluate your existing certification before allowing you to participate in a next level class.

GUE does not do like-for-like certification cross-overs.

As mentioned, there is provision in the standards to allow that an IE can sign off and waive the next level class pre-requisite.. in your case the pre-req for GUE T2 is a GUE Tec1, but since an IE was able to vet your skills and experience and felt confident that with your existing certification and skill you could pass a GUE Tec2, they can sign off on waiving that pre-req..

BUT it sounds like you were already GUE fundamentals tec pass certified as well, so that makes the case probably easier since you already had the foundational layer down.

Either way, to the OP.. If you want to do a Tec2 class and feel confident you will pass it, call or email an IE and request a checkout session with him/her to waive the GUE Tec1 requirement for your GUE Tec2 class..

I dont think any IE will just do a dive with you and then give you a GUE Tec2 card without doing a class.

yes i wasn't trying to get a tech 1 card without taking the class. I think that's a completely different thing. i can't imagine any of the IE's doing something like that

I dont think any IE will just do a dive with you and then give you a GUE Tec2 card without doing a class.

I think Graham Blackmore did Koos. But I know he had C1&C2 before he did it. (Although I think it was more than a dive)

My Tech 2 buddy skipped c1 and t1 and he was great. 10/10 would dive with again.

He posts here from time to time and will chime in if he wants, I imagine.

Who were the other person and which agency cert did they have an who signed them off on Tec1 and Cave1 with just a checkout dive?

Hi, I think it would be me. It was bit more than just a checkout dive, basically a checkout day each time. I'll pm you the details if interested, but in a nutshell: way back I had chance to do a few days of light cave diving with a GUE instructor in MX, while being i2c & norm tx with GUE-F tech pass; got told afterwards I might be able to do C2 with an extra day. Took it more as a compliment, but after a couple years decided to ask about it when a couple of buddies were preparing for C2. The extra day was basically a C1 refresher, with a lot of in-water time and no guarantee of passing to the course. Getting to do the same later with T2 was a bit easier given I already had the C2.

With C2 it was more about trying out if I could actually do it as I'm primarily a wreck diver, with T2 I had a specific need to go deeper and wasn't really convinced about the quality of 'other agency' courses past normoxic. I did consider taking T1 to get qualified, but I had been doing quite a bit of diving at that level in a crowd with fairly many advanced T1s, so at that point I was fairly sure I'd be able to tackle T2 too. Before C2 I wasn't nearly as confident. Neither course was a breeze.

Last edited:
My Tech 2 buddy skipped c1 and t1 and he was great. 10/10 would dive with again.

He posts here from time to time and will chime in if he wants, I imagine.

Did he have another agency'd equivalent level cert that he skipped and i would venture already possessed compatible skills to a GUE T1/C1 diver ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom