shark diving. Am I qualified?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please be aware that when you see sharks, quite often you have a strong current. Strong current and AOW with 5 dives is a clear no........no.

You'd be surprised how much you learn between 5 and 50 dives or even just doing the courses to qualify as AOW. With all due respect, Kao tao is probably not the most attentive and detailed place to learn either. It is well known for training more students per year than anywhere else in the world, in large groups and even the best professional won't be able to give you their full attention.
You certainly sound confident in your abilities and that will place you in good stead for future dives but this may be a little too far, too early. Sorry !

No, you're not ready. I think you know that or you wouldn't be asking. And if you're feeling adrenalin thinking about it on land, think how you will feel under water when the sharks are actually there. The combination of all the stuff you're talking about, and some that you're not, is a recipe for bad things to happen. Probably you'd get away with it ok, and hopefully not screw things up for anyone else, and maybe come back here and say you survived and we were all wrong. But you're still not ready.

And it's not all about the depth, it's everything put together. Taking your advanced class would be a good thing. But while the card will make dive ops happier than not having it, it doesn't actually make you advanced instantly, or even all that much more qualified to dive deep than you were before. Only practice and experience does that. Nor does cramming 25 more dives into a vacation just to meet some arbitrary number of 30 dives. There's a common saying about how doing the same dive 100 times doesn't give you 100 dives worth of experience. (And honestly, if you can't put your gear together without help, you're not even ready to take advanced, as basic as it is.)

It may be a unique dive in some ways, but there are actually a fair number of "unique" or "signature" dives or trips around the world that involve sharks or other big animals. If you keep diving you're bound to get your chance at some.

Go diving in Fiji and enjoy it. Good chance you'll get to see some sharks anyway. Seeing a shark that is naturally passing by on it's own and somewhat unexpected, can be neater than a zoo experience where the sharks are only there because they are feeding them.

That is quite wrong. As with anything that requires skill, the most dramatic improvements happen early. The better you get, the harder you have to work to reach the next level. The difference between having 10 or 30 dives will be very pronounced whereas the difference between 1000 dives and 1020 dives will generally be negligible.
As mentioned, you can see tiger sharks elsewhere if you won't make it back to Fiji. I also believe that the odds of seeing the tigers on this Fiji dive are depending on the season and actually not that great. Other options mentioned above have a higher success rate. Nonetheless, none of theses operations will hold your hand. You will have to be a reasonably experienced diver to go on a tiger shark dive and videoing as you mention adds another level of task loading. They also like to bump you, especially at tiger beach, and sometimes quite insistently. Your diving skills should be on auto pilot to competently deal with large sharks (and camera equipment). How many dives that takes varies by individual but 5 or 10 or 20 is not enough.

5 dives a while ago means: no experience. So: no go. The difference between zero and 5 dives is huge. Between 10 and 30 even more. I'am almost at 30 dives and just now I'am beginning to feel comfortable with my trim. Trim is the most important skill you need on deeper dives. Everyone can breath under water. Doing it safe and controlled is an whole other ball game. The sharks will be there for a while to come. So why not take some lessons and book another vacation in the future. You will enjoy the experience then, in stead of missing out on a great opportunity by not being able to enjoy it due to poor diving skills.

I know it's not the answer you want to hear, but just by posting this question you already know what the right answer is.

I did my first-ever dive to 30m with a mild current, immediately after AOW but with only 12 dives to my name, with nothing scary in the water. I sucked air so fast that my entire dive only lasted 15 minutes! If you're anywhere near as much of an air hog as I was, that would be a very expensive 15 minute dive for you. :)

Don't underestimate the variety of awesome dive sites you'll come across in the future. Just keep checking on the local dive scene when you're booking trips to different places, like you did this time.

The less experience you have, the bigger difference each subsequent dive makes. The difference in competency gained between five dives and 30 is huge. You're very new, and rusty with the little that you do have. Your original post shows that you really know this and are simply being swayed by the emotion of an amazing opportunity. An amazing opportunity for which you simply aren't prepared, unfortunately. The timing just isn't with you on this one.

I'm glad to see that you seem to be trying to accept this -- you'll be much safer for it. This is exactly the kind of thing about which you should (as you have) seek the feedback of others who can be objective, when you're too excited and hopeful to be able to decide based on facts. In your shoes, I'd be having the same struggle, by the way.

Good on you for reaching out for a reality check rather than blindly going for it. :)

With only 5 dives under our belt....I would say no, you're not ready.

If the dive operator is any good, they won't allow you to make the dive.
As other have said you are not qualified to make this dive, 5 dives one year ago and as you self said, can't even rigg your own gear means that you are barely qualified as OW, certification and qualification is not the same. A barley qualified OW making a advanced deep dive on a unfamiliar divesite with a lot of stress factors is in best case a expensive and unpleasant experience and in worst case a trip to hyperbaric chamber or worse, The 18 meter limit is not set on a nillywilly, deeper than that and you are presented with a new set of physological effects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom