how deep max. when diving solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I plan to have to save myself.

I do same here. Of course is with a buddy nicer, but sometimes you can't because of working in shifts and so. Then I want to dive, but I have to go alone.

My max solo depth is usually about 23 feet...I hit the Clackamas River bottom about at that depth at High Rocks, and it's kinda hard to go deeper. But now, the river's a bit out-of-whack (flooding). :wink:

SeaRat

Max. 30 metres depth due higher risk of nitrogen narcosis (Air as a gas). Of course, depth choise depend on many things.

My deepest unplanned solo dive was to ~130 feet, in Maui, when the whole group led by the dive guide headed for the bottom, to check for the shark in some crevice they had discussed earlier while on the boat. I slowly followed until I hit 130 feet. Were were all on AL80s, no pony. I watched the whole group go down to what might have been 135 feet, or maybe slightly more, and staring intensely into the crevice, looking all extremely busy, and extremely intensely focused on whatever it was they saw down there (later on the boat, I learned that there was actually no shark in the crevice on that day). I felt somewhat uncomfortable about the situation, so after maybe a minute or so, I started heading back up on my own. I am pretty sure the whole group was narced. The same dive guide got his hand bitten by a moray eel later that week.

When I go out alone, I bring a rope that limits me to just shy of 40'. I dive local lakes, which most of the time in the prime time of year I don't exceed 24' anyways because you cannot see anything even at the bottom with a light. A lot of my buddy diving I do, we typically get separated which then turns into solo dives because the waters are so murky. When we retrieve items to the surface, we'll usually find the other's flag and ascend back down and find each other and stay near until we get separated again. I also typically hug shorelines/dropoffs during my self guided diving.

When I go out alone, I bring a rope that limits me to just shy of 40'.

Same here.

I have a tire float with about 70' of line. No matter how badly I screw up, I know I'm not deeper than 70' and have a way to do a controlled ascent even if I end up with vertigo or can't figure out "which way is up" or lose buoyancy.

flots.

I don't put depth limits on my solo diving. People have drown in their bath tubs, depth doesn't count for much.

I'm more concerned about diving conditions, wind, waves, current, entanglement. Entanglement at 10' is just as deadly as entanglement at 100'.

Except that your gas consumption is about 4x faster. Big difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How deep do you dive as max. solo? and the max. decotime?

My solo dives are usually shallow shore dives to about 30'-40', shallow enough that I can self rescue by dropping my weights. I do not do decompression dives using scuba, that is done surface supplied only.

Shouldn't the depth you dive be a direct function of your bailout?....ie you dive what you have reserves for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom