Are all wings created equally ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ralphy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys new to the forum so hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I'm looking at buying a new harness back plate and wing and can get the scubapro xtec pure for a steel, now I know their form version is kinda average for a few reasons but would I do alright buying a pure ?

My thoughts :

A one piece harness with a crotch strap is going to be pretty much the same who ever makes it.

A standard stainless steel back plate is going to be well pretty standard.

So my question is are all wings created equally will one have significantly different diving characteristics to another ?

Cheers
Ralph

while the holes for mounting are pretty much standard things like: shape (donut,horsehoe), capacity (should fit the cylinders you are using), corrugated hose length and dump valve placement can differ. check it fits your requirements!

define a steal? If it isn't less than $400 it isn't a steal.

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

I don't like the Scubapro inflator mechanism, so there's that, and it's also expensive because it's Scubapro. Most wings are all about the same, a few have some nice features and a bit higher quality, but a lot of them are just overpriced due to the branding and marketing associated with them. You do not see Scubapro wings often, mainly because there are other cheaper wings out there that are just as good or better, it's not discounting them, it's just expensive.

You need to dive a couple of different wings to see. I never thought there was much in it but I have changed my mind recently having dived a couple of different sorts. I have just bought the (overpriced, but mine is secondhand) Halcyon Evolve as a result. It is on my old backplate and (very not DIR) harness.

So my question is are all wings created equally will one have significantly different diving characteristics to another ?

"One wing, to rule them all..."

myprecious1.jpg

Best regards,

Ray Purkis

Diving characteristics? Brand shouldn't matter too much. Wings of a similar style should dive practically identically. Horseshoe vs donut, lift capacity, etc. You'd have a REALLY hard time telling the difference in the water.

The differences are in the quality, longevity, and customer service.

IMO, the scubapro wings are "okay". I don't dig the plastic faux corrugated hose and the inflator is a little goofy, but other than that it's reasonable.

Not all wings are created equal... some are round, some are tapered, some are square, some are donuts, and some are horseshoes. They all have different buoyancy characteristics.
Some require an STA, some do not. Some can be mounted to any back plate, some require a specific hole spacing. If you can expound on the diving you plan on doing, we can give you a recommendation.

Thanks for the replies guys

I'm in Australia and can get the wing, backplate and harness for around that price as a package (the only cheaper option is getting a diverite set up next time I order from DGX but that would only be $30-40 cheaper).

My recreational set up is a hollis ride (basically a soft back plate harness and donut wing all stitched together ) and so far all my twinset diving in caverns has been using a borrowed BP/H/W which is a horseshoe which I didn't find awesome. So my plan is to buy a BP/H/W with a donut wing.

The inflator mechanism already has a date with evilbay I don't like the scubapro ones either and I have a spare inflator to ziptie straight on.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom