Wrist vs console computer ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amphos does have gauge mode and multigas so you can use it as a deco computer for 2 gas dives and run it in gauge mode which is the important thing, at that point it really comes down to which form factor you want, the larger puck or the smaller watch.

I will be the lone dissenting voice. Submersible pressure gauge clipped off so it doesn't dangle. Wrist-mounted (non-AI) dive computer. Rugged. Dependable. Fewer potential points of failure. More forgiving to being mishandled on a boat. More dives before you have to change a battery or trouble-shoot your system.

My first computer was a Sherwood Wisdom II. Air integrated on a hose with a quick disconnect so I could take the computer off my regs easily. Great computer and the air integration helped me with my air consumption. I would check how many safe minutes left on my dive and see my dive was almost over. Then I would force myself to relax and see my safe minutes increase.

Then I got a non- integrated Oceanic VEO 2 on a wrist mount as a backup computer. Now I use it as my dive computer and only use the Sherwood as a very expensive SPG. Time to sell it and get just a SPG.

I use 2 diff computers. Wrist mounted Vyper and a Cobalt2 for AI. I like the wrist for quick reference on depth and time as I keep arms folded in front of me and is easy to glance at without lots of movement.

I used to do that 6" HP hose connected to transmitter. I really can't say I like it. Yes, it prevent boat crews from using the transmitter as handle. That is about it. If you dive in where has kelp, that will catch a lot of kelp pieces.

Actually, I run both. I have the VT3 on the wrist and a Pro-Plus2 on the hose. I like the wrist for quick depth reference and remaining air while hanging at the safety stop. The console for me is easier to read on night dives as I am in complete denial on the need for bifocals at age 55.....:D

When I first started diving I wanted fancy gear and had a Suunto Cobra. After a whole the thing broke and I ended up buying an spg and wrist computer.

It didnt take me long to realise to keep it simple. Air integrated computers with transmitters etc might be nice for the holiday diver but for an instructor it certainly doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO.

Well, after all of your input, and help, think I'm settling on the amphos air wrist , w/ a spg. This to go along W/ Flathead LT, and octo. Should be a nice little warm water travel package.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom