Maximum depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI OW - 60' (18m)
PADI AOW - 100' (30m)
PADI Deep - 130' (40m)

Technically, rescue prerequisite is Adventure diver not Advanced OW which might not include the deep dive, so it is possible that as Rescue Diver that the depth certified to could still be 60'.

As for insurance purposes... Speak to YOUR insurance company regarding any limits that affect YOUR coverage.
Except the mentioned depths (other than 40m/130ft) is RECOMMENDED max depths according to the course material, with 40m being "absolute max" for a recreational dive according to PADI...

When it comes down to the nuts & bolts, I have never been able to get a comprehensible reply if my health insurance covers diving or not. It basically came down to “call us when you have a problem and we will determine coverage then”. Even if it is covered after their deliberations, you could be dead by the time a chamber ride is approved.

Last edited:
When it comes down to the nuts & bolts, I have never been able to get a comprehensible reply if my health insurance covers diving or not. It basically came down to call us when you have a problem and we will determine coverage then. Even if are covered after their deliberations, you could dead by the time a chamber is approved.
Which is why I have other insurance that specifically states it cover diving and hat depth it covers to :)

Same here. Do you have DAN? If so, are their requirements in Norway all that different than in the US?
No, I have my dive insurance through my travel insurance...
I don't think DAN is all that big over here. Never see any adds for them or anything...

For insurance purposes, as a Padi Rescue diver, what is the maximum depth Im qualified to go to? I thought it was 30m but I am now told it's 40m. I was about to do a Deep Diver qualification just so Im officially covered to 40m but now Im confused and don't know whether I need it or not in order to be officially qualified to 40m for insurance purposes. Please help!!!!

RJP said it well. We are all happy to chat all day here about everything from split fins to backplates, and give our opinions.

However, you are asking about the specific details of a legal contract between you and a corporation, where any tiny misunderstanding of a single clause might cause your own personal bankruptcy or even keep you from getting life-saving treatment for a dive injury.

If I had that question, and ten people here told me without question that I was covered, I would still check my contract. Forums are great for a lot of thing, this isn't one of them.

Thanks guys... I will try to get the info out of them, most of the people who answer the phone havent got any idea about diving. All they know is that I'm covered to 50m if qualified....

Thanks guys... I will try to get the info out of them, most of the people who answer the phone havent got any idea about diving. All they know is that I'm covered to 50m if qualified....

So it sounds like you are NOT talking about dive insurance, but rather life insurance? For sure then check with your company. My insurance company asked very specific dive-related questions once I said I was a scuba diver.

Once again, you are talking about a written legal contract with a corporate entity, that you signed. If you ever attempted to collect benefits, NOTHING would mean anything other than what is specifically written down in that document. Even if ten customer service reps assured you that you were covered.

It seems that this is important to you. If that's the case, then you know what to do.

Interesting thread. Like most folks here I got my AOW early on in my diving. I did not do the deep specialty until after a couple hundred dives and then only because I needed it for DM. I have seen a number of AOW divers down in the 105-110 range (myself included) and I know some did not have the deep specialty. I have never seen an operator ask me or anyone else if they had the deep specialty. Some operators require AOW. Some require showing that you have gone to 100 ft recently and returned alive (not alive and unbent, just alive). None ask if you have deep.

Back
Top Bottom