epm 1 package still a good buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab1412000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i know the epm1 underwater package has been discontinued and it sold for roughly 500 usd (camera+housing) but i still see some online vendors selling them for 600-700usd. would you guys still consider this a good deal and investment?

ive been looking around and it seems that this is the best bang for buck mirrorless setup out there especially since the epm2 doesn't have an olympus nor third party housings. i am however concerned about parts for the housing such as o-rings. will theses still be available from olympus?

what do you guys think?

Lots of us still use much older systems.
As long as your maintain your o-rings carefully they should last many years.
Yes a good buy, but bargin down the price, why not it's a discontinued line.

are the o-rings still available for sale though?

are the o-rings still available for sale though?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Olympus promised to continue supporting the housing for several years, so the answer should be "yes" but check with the seller before you buy. The package is still a good buy at 600-700 USD in my opinion.

YES!! I'm pulling this info from the housing manual. The o-ring is model POL-EP03, and works for other housings as well. B&H Photo has them in stock. $19.95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 1st, 2014 at 07:48 AM ----------

I upgraded mine with the Zen Underwater done port for Oly 9-18mm and Oly 14-42mm lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very satisfied with my PM1 , bought it when the price was 500usd. Am usinga M10 over water, better,but I'm not ready to invest in a housing.....got the 9-18mm and a ZEN dome to go with the PM1,and the 60mm macro. Cheapest setup for good pix. Now Ijust have to learn getting better photos..... By the way, I have a mint housing for the PL1 for sale, a leftover from an ebay auction...

Thanks guys . I wonder if the epm1 housing shares the same accessories line as the epl3 housing. That would really go a long way in terms of accessories availability and support. For example do they also share the same dome ports?

After looking around for a camera an epm1 came up used for a good price so I picked it up. So far it's great. won't be able to go underwater with it for a while unfortunately. Might pick up a couple of O-rings in case.

Rab1412000,

As a reference point, Zen Underwater has a few ports for the Oly PEN series housings. The om-d series housings (Oly brand) has a different port opening and they make an adapter to use the PEN ports on the om-d housings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As a lifelong Nikon user I was hesitant to go with the Olympus, but the epm1 offered an affordable way to get started with U/W photography in a complete package that Nikon could not. I couldn't be happier with it! It has been a great and fun camera.
Of course the affordable part went out the window once I was hooked and started adding the necessary strobes, dome ports, fisheye lens and the list goes on!
But it has turned out so well that I no longer travel with any of my Nikon equipment for dive vacations (I still use Nikon as my goto camera for sports) instead using it for out of water vacation photography as well.
I have a great little bag that fits all my camera equipment and dive computers, Lifeline, etc for an easy carry-on bag. So travelling with it is easy. Not so for a DSLR outfit.
I won't kid you by saying that it can out perform a full frame DSLR, but I have no plans to upgrade to a housing for my Nikon DSLR.
Better to spend money on a full day private lesson with someone like Cathy Church. Bonus is that you have to go to Cayman to do it 😆.
Go for the epm1, its a fantastic bargain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom