Dive operators in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the northern areas: daytrips are possible, and to Similans and Koh Bon also scheduled and offered. Further north, so Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, possible on a daytrip, but really far and transfers have to be specially arranged, so likely more expensive.

For the southern sites: Racha Islands, Phi Phi area and Shark Point area are all offered on daytrips. Hin Daeng, Hin Muang and Koh Haa are too far for daytrips.

On top of that: liveaboard diving is much more relaxed and the ultimate way to go. But liveaboards are not always possible.

+1 for Scuba Cat's mini Liveaboard trip. I did five dive specialties and my brother did his OW referral and AOW on one with Scuba Cats. We had a blast. Nothing fancy but well worth the money.

And for something completely different...

...try out GLOW DIVING while you're in Phuket. Phuket Glow Dive - Fluorescent Coral Diving in Thailand

glow300x120-1.jpg

I just returned from a vacation trip to Phuket and had an opportunity to dive with 2 different operators- the first was Dive Asia, where we went to Racha Yai and Racha Noi. We did 3 dives at a very leisurely pace, with substantial amounts of food in-between dives, and intervals that were in the 1 1/2 to 2 hour range. Trip cost was $3,900 bhat. Groups were small, and everyone seemed competent. I can't say too much about the diving- the reefs seemed barren and not so much life as I remember from a few years ago. The second day trip was booked through West Coast Divers, but the actual charter seemed to have groups from different shops. The t-shirts on sale were marked "Dive Center Kamala". The food was excellent but not as substantial (i.e. after the last dive on the first trip was full dinner- after the last dive on this trip was pancakes). There happened to be less divers on this trip so seemed less crowded. Our dive guide, Attilla Kakesi, was excellent. There were 3 dives- Koh Doc Mai, Anemone Reef and Shark Point. The diving was much better on this trip with a lot to see. The pace was much quicker, with a little over 1 hour SI and we were back to the dock at around 5 instead of nearly 7pm. Cost was $3700 bhat. Hope that helps.

I just returned from a vacation trip to Phuket and had an opportunity to dive with 2 different operators- the first was Dive Asia, where we went to Racha Yai and Racha Noi. We did 3 dives at a very leisurely pace, with substantial amounts of food in-between dives, and intervals that were in the 1 1/2 to 2 hour range. Trip cost was $3,900 bhat. Groups were small, and everyone seemed competent. I can't say too much about the diving- the reefs seemed barren and not so much life as I remember from a few years ago. The second day trip was booked through West Coast Divers, but the actual charter seemed to have groups from different shops. The t-shirts on sale were marked "Dive Center Kamala". The food was excellent but not as substantial (i.e. after the last dive on the first trip was full dinner- after the last dive on this trip was pancakes). There happened to be less divers on this trip so seemed less crowded. Our dive guide, Attilla Kakesi, was excellent. There were 3 dives- Koh Doc Mai, Anemone Reef and Shark Point. The diving was much better on this trip with a lot to see. The pace was much quicker, with a little over 1 hour SI and we were back to the dock at around 5 instead of nearly 7pm. Cost was $3700 bhat. Hope that helps.

the Racha sites never have that much to see...been that way for years. However, they can be nice drift dives and a dive buddy of mine saw mantas at one of the sites there. Also, I seem to recall it may be at one of racha sites where there are these huge boulder formations with HUGE spiny lobsters in the crevices between them...I mean huge like almost a meter long and half again as thick.

As you state, anemone reef, doc mai, and shark point are much more interesting sites, with healthy reefs teaming with life.

Back
Top Bottom