This is why I own a CO Monitor..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never heard of the filter itself releasing stored CO. Very interesting, and scary that could happen with a one tank fill.

I'm with you, Don. I have been selling filters for a LONG time and this is the first time I have heard about storing CO. I know that many of the ones I provide have a chemical inside that changes deadly CO to relatively harmless CO2. I am not a chemist, but maybe we have something a little mixed up here? Maybe someone that IS a chemist can explain how/if that actually happens.

I'm with you, Don. I have been selling filters for a LONG time and this is the first time I have heard about storing CO. I know that many of the ones I provide have a chemical inside that changes deadly CO to relatively harmless CO2. I am not a chemist, but maybe we have something a little mixed up here? Maybe someone that IS a chemist can explain how/if that actually happens.

I was surprised too, so I contacted Nuvair (last year) and asked some questions and they confirmed what I observed. It is a small amount of contaminated gas, but is contaminated. Ray, you have access to many systems, next time you find one that has been shut down for ~2 weeks, sample the gas just after the filter before you start the system back up. Let us know what you find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom