Thistlegorm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great Video sphyrnidus I enjoyed every min of it thank you,, what camera are u using its a perfect Crystal clear picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. The problem with camera's is, they are either expensive or grossly expensive. This was filmed with a Canon HF G10 in a Light & Motion housing. Light L & M Sola 1200.

Yes,, I had money and then I dived :( lol

---------- Post added October 12th, 2014 at 11:02 PM ----------

I just checked out ur setup it's about 5k in uk money.. I'll stick to my go pro :)

I would really say Thistlegorm isn't ideal as a "first wreck dive" as its relatively deep (the bottom is 30 meters) and the currents can be quite strong. Its also a fairly large wreck with lots of (completely against the book) penetration.
Add to that the fact that it can be quite choppy out there and you're probably looking at one of the most challenging out of the (recreational) wreck dives that's normally done in the area.
It IS also one of the best though...
[video=youtube;nrmtgHUEYio]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrmtgHUEYio[/video]

Your the 1st person to bring that home to me tigerman, I've even told my dive school of my intentions to train for this wreck dive in August and no issues was raised.. Maybe I should go to some easyer uk wrecks 1st

It all depends on your skills / experience, which is not clear from your profile. The min. 50 dives requirements is really necessary IMO - for all the reasons mentioned above. Be prepared for a bunch of Russians dropping down between your group while you're trying to follow the DM into / out of the wreck etc. Very good buoyancy is a must since the passages are sometimes rather narrow. Of course this problem will disappear if you don't enter the wreck - but then you might find yourself struggling with the current.

There's at least one more difficult 'recreational' wreck over there IMO - the Giannis D. Due to its strange orientation, it can be very disorienting, even nauseating inside...

Your the 1st person to bring that home to me tigerman, I've even told my dive school of my intentions to train for this wreck dive in August and no issues was raised.. Maybe I should go to some easyer uk wrecks 1st

Not knowing your experience with "deep" diving, currents and swells I can't say "don't do it", nor can I say "you'll be fine" although the vast majority will.
Are you planning a few days locally and/or in Ras Mohammed/Strait of Tiran before you go to the Thistlegorm? Depending on your experience, it may be a good thing to do :)

It all depends on your skills / experience, which is not clear from your profile. The min. 50 dives requirements is really necessary IMO - for all the reasons mentioned above. Be prepared for a bunch of Russians dropping down between your group while you're trying to follow the DM into / out of the wreck etc. Very good buoyancy is a must since the passages are sometimes rather narrow. Of course this problem will disappear if you don't enter the wreck - but then you might find yourself struggling with the current.

There's at least one more difficult 'recreational' wreck over there IMO - the Giannis D. Due to its strange orientation, it can be very disorienting, even nauseating inside...
Yeah, the Giannis D my buddy didn't like when I was there, she got vertigoed... Personally I tried to keep an eye on my (and others) bubbles to avoid it and I had no issue with it.

I would say though, diving Thistlegorm without having a look at the cargo isn't something Id bother to do...

Personally I found the Giannis D a rather easy dive. It's shallower than the Thistlegorm and with much better vis. Of course, when I was there the conditions were excellent with calm seas and no current ... I imagine at its depth it may be subject to some surge when the wind's blowing and the waves kick up. Here's some pics from the Giannis D that I took a couple weeks ago ...

IMG_4342.jpg

IMG_4325.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,

it's easier indeed in all aspects... but one: the weird position it is in. We weren't told about the vertigo it could cause, but upon entering I immediately noticed it. Having some experience (not a lot) and generally being quite able to stop, think and act it didn't cause any problems, I just put a finger on the bottom and held on for a couple of seconds - but I could easily imagine how a new diver, especially one that isn't warned, could panic.

I even heard the wreck described as 'being visited with OW students'... I hope they don't really take any OW students in:)

Personally I found the Giannis D a rather easy dive. It's shallower than the Thistlegorm and with much better vis. Of course, when I was there the conditions were excellent with calm seas and no current ... I imagine at its depth it may be subject to some surge when the wind's blowing and the waves kick up. Here's some pics from the Giannis D that I took a couple weeks ago ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added October 13th, 2014 at 04:01 PM ----------

I would say though, diving Thistlegorm without having a look at the cargo isn't something Id bother to do...

I don't know... It's impressive enough on the outside. I've seen quite some wrecks from the outside only (Salem Express for instance). For a newer diver, that may be a nice way of getting acquainted with a wreck (in the AOW course, that's all that's done anyway)

Normally how Thistlegorm is done though (not always does the conditions allow) is outside inspection first dive and inside for the second. I HAVE been there when only the inside was a good option though.
Its not that the Thistlegorm isnt impressive from the outside - its just that its even more so on the inside..

Sent fra min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom