Roll call: Any old NASDS divers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NASDS 1971 through San Diego Divers Supply (SDDS), Glenn Stroud was instructor. Also got NASDS Senior certification

Last edited:
NASDS 1977 thru Skipper's Dive Ship, Jackson, MS. Mike Thornton was my instructor. Wish I knew what became of Mike.

OWI-835 (owned the Aqua Shack NASDS Dive Center in Dayton, Ohio) and married to OWI-225C (hired her to teach in my facility and she never left.) We live on a sailboat, cruise and dive whenever the opportunity presents itself. We still have our instructor cards (with micro-chips) and stay connected with many of our friends who made the transition to SSI after John's death and NASDS's passing.

A little late but I was certified OW via NASDA in 1988. Now SSI AOW.

NASDS certified in 1973 through Dave Olson's Olympic Scuba School, Walnut Creek, California.

NASDS....I was certified in 1974 in Daytona Beach Florida at Herb's Dive shop by Herb Ellis. Those were the days...lol. Been diving ever since...to much " Mike Nelson" as a boy. Still in love with it.

Yup. NASDS OW in 1998 in Memphis, TN. Richard Walker was my instructor and gave me an awesome foundation to build on. I've got my TDI Trimix now...

OK, brand new to this forum and using my first post to resurrect a 9 year old thread. Don't ya just love guys like me?

First Certified NASDS by Greg Ballard of Scuba Sciences in PHX (others there Paul Wagonseller, Dan Walsh, Steve Nisky & Dan Bollander)
Attended the NASDS Instructors college in 79 or 80: Instructors were Tony Zimos, Richard "Dick" Hammas and I think Tom Wilson. My number...OWIC 426
Worked at Scuba Sciences, Phx and Tempe; San Diego Divers, La Jolla store only; Aloha Dive Shop, Honolulu; North Country Scuba, Laconia NH

Haven't dove for a while and lost ALL my dive stuff (equipment, C cards, log books...) in a house fire in 2006. Only thing left of my at pac was a mound of reformed lead shot.

I read this thread front to back and really enjoyed all the stories of Tony Z, San Diego Divers, Kevin Murphy, John Gaffney. Thanks for those great memories. Anyone remember diving off the Bottom Scratcher and Sand Dollar dive boats (San Diego) owned by Bill Johnston?

Thanks again for the stroll down memory lane.

Just curious if there is any of us left

Hi Squidster,

My first day as a ScubaBoard member, hence the late reply. Ran quite a few classes out of that shop over the years for Jack and Rita Parmelly. Was contracted with L. A. County Sherrif's Office for some search and recovery work and Beckman Corp., working on their rebreather gear. It would be fantastic if I could hook up with any guys who went through ScubaTech in West Covina for an NASGW cert. I am retired on the Oregon Coast now. 👍 Seadog47

Back
Top Bottom