DECO the Dark site in recreational Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you notice that in another thread the OP here expresses curiosity about the Blue Hole in Dahab? I guess you're right--some people are just fascinated by depth and seek challenges. That's fine. Others, like me, seek to find the combination of technique and equipment that will make our dives as easy as possible so that we can see and be near the kinds of things we enjoy experiencing. I want the maximum visual/perceptual experience with the minimum of difficulty. I don't find freediving of interest, for example. Scuba gear has made it relatively easy and safe to get down to places where it's like sitting in the middle of an aquarium for an hour. To each his own.

Dahap, Blue Home, not my confort zone, far more with just one tank, 50m staying inside NDL no problem, doing a small Deco no problem, but it may sound deardevil but there are conditions that need to be in plase, those already mention, since most people are not willing to do that, I will need to get my training thru most of the Tec courses.

Dahap, Blue Home, not my confort zone, far more with just one tank, 50m staying inside NDL no problem, doing a small Deco no problem, but it may sound deardevil but there are conditions that need to be in plase, those already mention, since most people are not willing to do that, I will need to get my training thru most of the Tec courses.

Anybody can dive the blue hole. As with any wall dive you do not have to go deep - just pick the depth you are trained for and comfortable with and stay above it.

Deep for deep sake is silly. As an avid wreck diver I will go deep if the specific wreck I want to see is deeper than another. No other reason makes any sense whatsoever.

What you quoted didn't state deep for deep sake. I think you're twisting that. What I read is he's doing something risky because he can and he enjoys doing it in an environment few go to. Hey to land lubbers that's what diving is! Even the OP wasn't posting some much about going deep as he was staying longer. At least that's what I read.

Anybody can dive the blue hole. As with any wall dive you do not have to go deep - just pick the depth you are trained for and comfortable with and stay above it.

Agree, but for what I read, there is not much to see there except no bottom and the arch, but the arch represent a lot of challenges and risks involve do to the conditions.

---------- Post added October 5th, 2014 at 05:39 PM ----------

You've really got no clue, even after all the advice and suggestions every has given you.

No to be combative, but you are either assuming that I didn't understand or you are not reading it all my interventions.

Remy,
You have had some really good answers and responses. The one thing you kept stressing was you knew you had "plenty of air". One thing no one mentioned was what if you did go into a few minutes deco and you just happened to see that Manta Ray or Whale Shark and you are so consumed with watching or swimming after them, that the excitement has caused you to breath harder, thus increasing your workload (do you know how to figure your air consumption for different workloads?) and all of a sudden instead of having 1000 PSI, you look down a few seconds later and you are down to 400 PSI?
I also noticed you only have 0-24 dives ... even though you took the AOW class, that does not make you an "Advanced Diver", you simply took the class and obtained more knowledge. "EXPERIENCE" makes you a better diver ... KNOWLEDGE helps you make the right decisions and make planned Deco dives ....
Become Nitrox certified, but remember it only extends bottom time, but DOES NOT ALLOW YOU TO GO DEEPER!!!
Dive more! ... get proper training so that you know what to do under any circumstance that might arise, then you will be glad you have the training and knowledge and will feel better about going into Deco, because you have been properly trained ....

I couldn't agree more with you Deep diving just to say you dove deep is stupid.
MMMM --I was just about to post that I agree 100% with you.Then I thought. "ang on a mo"
Once you have actually done a reasonably deep dive then yep I agree. Till then it can be kinda a bucket list thing.

After reading this thread, I must assume the OP doesn't have a child waiting for him at home... I am far less experienced than Remy at this point, but I would NEVER dive beyond my level of training for any reason, because I don't want my instructor/divemaster to have to deliver the bad news to my kid and family... To compound my issues with diving deeper/longer than my training allows, my kid will be certified OW in spring, and he will be my permabuddy... I would never risk HIS life for more bottom time, or more depth.

Remy, the other question you have to ask yourself that really no one else here has asked either, is if you have a buddy with you, how will he feel about you having to make a long ass deco stop when HE is low on air already... What if he stuck with you and breathes heavier than you, and needs the same deco time as you, but has 400 less PSI in his tank than you when you reach your deco stop? Now you just screwed over your buddy and yourself, because you'll need to share air with him so he can complete his stop, and likely run you both out of air before you're done with it. Certainly, every diver is ultimately responsible for managing his own air supply, and if he is low on air when you get to a deco stop it is his own fault, but how would you feel having to tell someone's family that your carelessness and lack of training caused someone else to get bent?

This discussion can't end well.... Unless Remy decides to stop talking and get more training.

After reading this thread, I must assume the OP doesn't have a child waiting for him at home... I am far less experienced than Remy at this point, but I would NEVER dive beyond my level of training for any reason, because I don't want my instructor/divemaster to have to deliver the bad news to my kid and family... To compound my issues with diving deeper/longer than my training allows, my kid will be certified OW in spring, and he will be my permabuddy... I would never risk HIS life for more bottom time, or more depth.

Remy, the other question you have to ask yourself that really no one else here has asked either, is if you have a buddy with you, how will he feel about you having to make a long ass deco stop when HE is low on air already... What if he stuck with you and breathes heavier than you, and needs the same deco time as you, but has 400 less PSI in his tank than you when you reach your deco stop? Now you just screwed over your buddy and yourself, because you'll need to share air with him so he can complete his stop, and likely run you both out of air before you're done with it. Certainly, every diver is ultimately responsible for managing his own air supply, and if he is low on air when you get to a deco stop it is his own fault, but how would you feel having to tell someone's family that your carelessness and lack of training caused someone else to get bent?

This discussion can't end well.... Unless Remy decides to stop talking and get more training.

I guess like most you didn't read my posts.

Will you go in to Deco because your dive buddy want to ? It has to be commonly aggreed and well planned before you do so I guess.

Will you do a Deco dive with somebody that you don't know his air management or consumption rate? I will not.

Will you do a deco dive, with somebody that had not done it before ? I don't

Will you do a Deco dive with somebody that had only done it 10 times ? I don't

Will you only try a Deco dive with just a dive buddy ? I don't, 4 persons minimum under what are my considerations

Will I find 3 persons that are willing to do a Deco? I will say more likely not, I will need to be in a TEC group to do so, and had training undergoing more likely.

Did I said, I didn't need, or wanted to get training ? Read again

After reading this thread, . . . .

Remy has participated in other threads since this one that you may not have read. A lot has been discussed. It's unclear exactly what practices Remy plans to engage in or refrain from, because he phrases things ambiguously rather than unequivocally. But he's gotten a lot of advice at this point, and he will do what he will do, regardless of what more is said here, I believe.

He's gotten plenty of hammering, but if you want to keep hammering on him, nobody is going to stop you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom