Diving mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buiszie

Contributor
Reaction score
Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat, Indonesia, Indonesia
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am planning a trip to Mozambique in November till the beginning of December. What are the best places for diving, which ones are must goes. How do I get there?

Sander

Hey Buiszie..I'm going to Moz in November as well. I'm returning to where I went on my first trip, Tofo and Zavora. Mozambique is some of the best diving I've done outside of Asia..pelagics, healthy reefs, schools of fish, even uncommon macro like rhinopias. Tofo and Zavora are two the easier places to get to as far as Moz is concerned..you can fly to Inhambane on LAM via Johannesberg or Maputo. Recommend Peri Peri in Tofo and Mozdivers in Zavora. Any specific questions, feel free to pm. Don't know your nationality but watch out visa requirements for most just majorly changed a couple of weeks ago...no more visas on arrival and visa charge has nearly doubled.

I've only dived Tofo, so I can only give the heads up for that area.

We flew into Jo'burg then travelled by bus through to Maputo. We stayed in a backpackers in maputo, Fatima's, who get a local shuttle to pick you up and take you to Tofo. It was an epic trip and as soon as you leave the backpackers, the bus is taken round the corner and crammed to capacity. Live and learn, I think we got the greyhound or similar on the way back, which was much more civilised and you didn't have to worry about your dive kit getting nicked out the trailer.

Waters temps were icy. I think 17-20 degrees. Not mega cold but we had flown in from Thailand and were shivering in 5mm wetsuits. It does warm up towards monsoon season (Feb?) but expect the water to be bracing.

Due to the currents, most dive sites will be negative entries, if you ears aren't up for that, then tell the guide. They normally run a leader/sweeper system. Where one DM rockets to the bottom and the sweeper deals with all the people who descend slowly. There is a towed buoy line to follow as most dives are drifts.

Beach exits on the RIB are s**t scary. Be prepared. Launches are equally hair-raising. 9/10 nothing goes wrong, but the odd flip isn't uncommon.

It is a Malaria region, so prepare for that.

I'm not selling it am I :wink:

Fortunately the diving is stunning. A good selection of pelagic life, Mantas, Guitar Sharks, Leopard Eels (?); impressive amounts of shoaling fish, stunning topography. And if you're lucky a whaleshark on the SI (take your snorkel)

Food is excellent, I think I became addicted to mataba curry. Beer is plentiful. Avoid the Tipo unless you like drinking petrol and coke (and enjoy blistering hangovers - it is cheap though)

There's a few dive shops on the strip. I'd recommend nitrox where possible, a lot of the stuff is in the 25m range.

Surfing is possible too.

Hi, i am from holland. Can i still get a voa in Mozambique

---------- Post added October 14th, 2014 at 07:58 PM ----------

Thank u all

Great thread! Scuba Addicts does combined Safaris with South Africa and Mozambique. I was wondering if anyone could give a comparison of how these two destinations compare. I would love to do Africa but was not sure if adding Mozambique to South Africa would give any additional benefits or would it just be the same kind of diving???

buiszie, here's a link to the Mozambique Embassy website for the US that also lists visa policies for all other countries. VOAs no longer being issued for any nationality. Consular Services

You'd have to check with your embassy.

All I can tell you is I had no trouble entering as a Brit, neither did the Dane I was travelling with.

It's changed since whenever it was you there. Well changed might not be the exact word.. it's apparently strict enforcement of the policy that has always been there but never actually followed. The only consideration for VOA would be if you came from a country with no Moz Embassy or consulate. There remain a handful of African nationalities that are not required to have a visa for Moz, but no more VOAS for those who need a visa to enter.

Last edited:
Too bad. Their no VOA policy just stopped one dive tourist from flying there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom