Smartphone Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AH ok... Makes more sense to me now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 12:07 PM ----------

I would test it out if given the chance.

My biggest concern would be battery life. With the phone awake and the screen on for about a full hour, I don't see it having enough battery left for a second dive, let alone 4 or 5 dives a day.

.....battery life on smart phones already sucks.....
I agree.
But, they are getting better and better.

..... Having one with the display turned on throughout your dive is sure to eat the battery.....

My biggest concern would be battery life. With the phone awake and the screen on for about a full hour, I don't see it having enough battery left for a second dive, let alone 4 or 5 dives a day.

Our App dims the display and turns off the image sensor after a while.
Based on our tests a 4S will last ~6 hours and a 5S almost 10.

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 09:21 AM ----------

Oh oh, this should be interesting! It's already funny enough when people are (ab)using their tablet as camera on land, but it should be hilarious under water!
Have you ever heard about the iDive housing for iPad?
There seems to be quite some interest from the scientific diving community about the possibility to take a tablet underwater to facilitate the diver 's activity.

I am not concerned about battery life. If your battery cannot last an hour then you need to replace it anyway. Mine lasts over 2 with 2 apps that are using GPS and mapping everyday. Mine was more about the stability of the software. I would give it a chance. Just think, the same was said about dive computers when they came out. If this works well then why not?

---------- Post added October 15th, 2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

Looks like this will work with my watershot case. What is the distance for the transmitter?

This is just a bad idea.

There are too many uncontrolled variables with smartphones.

1) The same model is different across carriers with regards to features turned on, bloatware, etc.
2) Users can install software that may negatively affect the operating system of the device in ways that can't easily be determined.
3) Don't even get into rooted phones and customizations there.

Just conducting quality assurance and bug testing of the product would be a daunting task since you cannot guarantee the configuration of the end device.

As a rec diver, I'd only consider using my smartphone for a dive computer if the casing/dive computer module manufacturer would guarantee that they would replace my phone if water got in, and had a proven track record of actually following through on that. I do see the merit in having a dive computer module for a phone or tablet for scientific/monitoring work, though. I know a few citizen scientist divers who go out and observe the impacts of beach renourshiment on inshore reefs that would be well-served with something like this.

As a rec diver, I'd only consider using my smartphone for a dive computer if the casing/dive computer module manufacturer would guarantee that they would replace my phone if water got in, and had a proven track record of actually following through on that. I do see the merit in having a dive computer module for a phone or tablet for scientific/monitoring work, though. I know a few citizen scientist divers who go out and observe the impacts of beach renourshiment on inshore reefs that would be well-served with something like this.

2 different manufacturers. The waterproof case is made by a different company. Divenav from what I can tell only does the transmitter that attaches. You get the waterproof case separately.

Remember, this is early adopter kind of stuff. Beta testers are early adopters willing to take a risk to help a technology move along.

Alberto, perhaps the DIY section would attract a better response. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom