Need advice on EM1 + Nauticam system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the valuable information. Very useful. It seems that the Nauticam EM1 rig would need much more float than I expected in order to get neutral. Wisnu's examples give me great insight. Approx 700g additional net float (4 jumbo stix is 560g, assume the Inon float arms are 150g total) still get very negative rig for a 2 strobe system. I may need 600g~800g floats to get comfy neutral.

Now have some ideas on what I need to add. I have an Aluminium Float arm with approx 200g float in my existing rig. May need to add one float arm with approx 600g float to try out.

Thanks again

I like stix floats, because it allows me to change how much buoyancy I need when I change ports. EM1, 2x z240s, 65 port with flip diopter and sub see +5 (its heavy), and a iTorch video/focus light, i need 10 jumbo stix floats to make it a tiny bit negative. It goes positive when I put on the 4" dome port, so I have to take out 2 floats. I can't say I notice much compression of the stix, though i'm not going deeper than 30m.

I'm using 2 INON Mega Float Arms on my rig. They provide -1300g of buoyancy, which works out well. One problem I have is that when I tip the camera forward to take a shot, I'm fighting the arms. They want to float in a vertical orientation. To set them at a backward angle means coming up with an odd adjustment on the other arm and strobe. But it works and the setup is nearly neutral.

Bob W

Hi all,

Just returned from Manado/Bunaken trip using the Nauticam E M1 with 60mm macro lens and port. Just want to give an updte for my buoyancy/float arm settting.

I used one Inon Z240 strobe, an unbranded aluminium focus light weighting approx 350g. During the trip, I used 2 float arm with total 950g net positive buoyancy, one fliat arm with 600g net at for the focus light on one side, and the other float arm with 350g net positive for the strobe at the other side. The result is a balanced nearly neutral buoyancy rig. When I released it hand free in clam water, it remained stable and sank very slowly. I may want it a bit more negative for more stable hold.

After the actual use and test, I conclude that total 2x600g net positive buoyancy would be good for the Nauticam EM1 rig with macro port using 2 strobes. For one strobe, 850g ~950g would be good depending on system configuration.

Back
Top Bottom