DFW area cold weather diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm all for diving with a purpose - picking up trash and finding anchors and stuff. I've never found anything at CSSP, but that may be because there are so many divers there.

I couldn't imagine wearing 2.5, 5mm, and 7mm all at once. I doubt I could move.

I was supposed to do my deep dive in Lake Murray, but then was told by the instructor I had to carry my gear down/up a steep hill and also that he had never been to the site. Lake Austin worked just fine for me, even if too short of a dive and too shallow to really experience deep diving.

I guess I'll just have to start saving for winter diving in warmer climates.

Hey Roatan Joe,

Thanks for pointing out the DUI event. I brought my 7mm from Canada and was planning on doing some diving this winter while in Dallas. I am definitely going out to CSSP on the Saturday. Maybe I'll go out again on Sunday and try the Blue Heat as well. I keep planning on getting a drysuit but things keep popping up and the money goes to something else (e.g. dog got ill and needed vet care).

If anyone is going out on Saturday hope to see you there. I'll be the guy with two lime green AL80 tanks and a Hollis BP/W with red harness. :)

Lake Murray isn't a big deal. There are easy and difficult
entries. Saying it's a difficult entry shows that whomever
said that doesn't know it very well at all. The worst exit
I've seen is Comal river at Lincoln St. I had to hike
(with all my equipment) eight blocks to where we could
legally park our cars. It always amazes me how many go to
the trouble to get certified then discover they can't go
diving because they won't carry their equipment more than
a few feet. Diving has improved my fitness level. But if
you refuse to challenge yourself your fitness level will
stay low. No pain no gain they say.

Not concerned with fitness level. I was still nursing a knee injury at the time and didn't want to go back two steps.

My biggest concern was going there with someone who had never been there, had no idea of the layout, and couldn't explain the type of dive we would do.

Instructor or not. I had already had a strange experience with the other AOW dives and an unprepared DM that was not suited for the thermocline and stayed well above me on most of my dives.

I wasn't about to drive all that way to see if my comfort with this guy or the LDS would kick in.

I'd have no problem going now.

Not concerned with fitness level. I was still nursing a knee injury at the time and didn't want to go back two steps.

My biggest concern was going there with someone who had never been there, had no idea of the layout, and couldn't explain the type of dive we would do.

Instructor or not. I had already had a strange experience with the other AOW dives and an unprepared DM that was not suited for the thermocline and stayed well above me on most of my dives.

I wasn't about to drive all that way to see if my comfort with this guy or the LDS would kick in.

I'd have no problem going now.

I was there a few days ago. The vis was much better than anything else I've recently seen. Had a nice hour long dive along the wall, but it was getting chilly towards the end of the dive .. 63 degrees at 40 ft.. A dive buddy found some treasure! A nice boat anchor..

Bummr about the knee. problems like that hold many back.

Some of the funnest dives I have been on I had no one to guide me. I
really had no idea what to expect. Perhaps I had a vague idea what
to expect based on a textual reports from the Internet but that's
about as far as it went. My point is you don't have to have a tracks
laid for you by someone else. I prefer now not to look at maps or
guides before I go to a new place. I want to discover it on my own.
Afterwards I'll read about the reports of others. I now cringe at
the thought of going to a developed spot like Cozumel and have to
follow someone else around. When I follow someone else it's their
dive, not mine. I lead my own dives now. Either they follow me or I
go on my own.

Bummr about the knee. problems like that hold many back.

Some of the funnest dives I have been on I had no one to guide me. I
really had no idea what to expect. Perhaps I had a vague idea what
to expect based on a textual reports from the Internet but that's
about as far as it went. My point is you don't have to have a tracks
laid for you by someone else. I prefer now not to look at maps or
guides before I go to a new place. I want to discover it on my own.
Afterwards I'll read about the reports of others. I now cringe at
the thought of going to a developed spot like Cozumel and have to
follow someone else around. When I follow someone else it's their
dive, not mine. I lead my own dives now. Either they follow me or I
go on my own.

I feel exactly the same way Bill. It's a bunch of fun leading dives in the Caribbean and an hour later pointing up at the boat when most don't have a clue where we are at, until they see the boat too... :)

I went out to Athens today. The viz isn't great to the local rain we have been getting. I was out there to pick up my season passes for next year. It's their 25th anniversary so they have a deal on memberships right no for 50 bucks. I was actual going to try out my new 7mm this weekend out there but the rain is expected all day today and wife had to work so I have the kids alone. They have been doing some work on the docks since summer ended and improved that entry/exit on dock one. Actually not bad now. They are actually staying open year round now so i may actually buy a drysuit since it's 5 minutes from my house.

I wish i was closer to the comal and guadalupe since they are about the same temp year round and would be nice with no swimmers and tubers going down it. Wish I could dive at Spring lake at the old Aquarena. Still think that would be awesome and it's a constant temp year round as well.

Nice deal on the Athens Scuba Park. Normally entry fee is $20. So if you go 3 times in one season it pretty much pays for itself. I just bought my season pass online.

I wish i was closer to the comal and guadalupe since they are about the same temp year round and would be nice with no swimmers and tubers going down it. Wish I could dive at Spring lake at the old Aquarena. Still think that would be awesome and it's a constant temp year round as well.

You can dive at Spring Lake again.. You just have to take their one day Dive Authorization Course and pay your money..

Frequently Asked Questions : Glass Bottom Boat Tours & Environmental Education Programs : Texas State University

I was teaching out at Clear Springs Scuba Park today. Chilly to say the least!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom