Metric versus Imperial System for Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as your buddy knows what's what I don't see the problem.
This is about what is best and most simple for YOU and YOUR buddy.
It doesn't matter what we think on here IMO.
If you and your buddy has agreed on metric/imperial then go with it.
What happened with "to each their own"?

Tapatalked

He said "estimate". And what numbers are those? 231 what? 8.34 what? Simplicity? Pardon me while I laugh.

As long as you don't get snot all over yourself again.

What's the difference 'what'. You posed the question in feet (6'X6'x6') so I converted them into inches and used the factor that gives volume in gallons when applied to square inches. Once having the precise volume in gallons, one multiplies by either the approximate weight (I presume in air on Earth's surface) of seawater or of fresh water. It's a formula I've used in designing aquaria. It can also be done for large enclosures by determining the number of square feet in any given three dimensional space and multiplying by the sq. ft. weight of the liquid therein. I did this with concrete one summer while helping a friend bid on a contract to rebuild the overpasses around Newark Airport. He got the job, and everything's still there 40+years later. Using a system that reduces everything to smaller and smaller tenth units may be infinitely easier, but not nearly as much fun. Ecstasy can often be found in complexity as it unfolds, its wonders to reveal..

What's the difference 'what'. You posed the question in feet (6'X6'x6') so I converted them into inches and used the factor that gives volume in gallons when applied to square inches. Once having the precise volume in gallons, one multiplies by either the approximate weight (I presume in air on Earth's surface) of seawater or of fresh water. It's a formula I've used in designing aquaria. It can also be done for large enclosures by determining the number of square feet in any given three dimensional space and multiplying by the sq. ft. weight of the liquid therein. I did this with concrete one summer while helping a friend bid on a contract to rebuild the overpasses around Newark Airport. He got the job, and everything's still there 40+years later. Using a system that reduces everything to smaller and smaller tenth units may be infinitely easier, but not nearly as much fun. Ecstasy can often be found in complexity as it unfolds, its wonders to reveal..
Yeah, about that. That's not actually the main point of the SI system, you see? The main point is that all units are related, and that there's only one unit for each kind of thing that can be measured. This eliminates magic numbers as conversion factors, as you had to use. It eliminates magic formulas you need to use to do basic calculations.

What happened with "to each their own"?
Fine and dandy as long as you don't have to communicate any important values with anyone else.

Yeah, about that. That's not actually the main point of the SI system, you see? The main point is that all units are related, and that there's only one unit for each kind of thing that can be measured. This eliminates magic numbers as conversion factors, as you had to use. It eliminates magic formulas you need to use to do basic calculations.

Fine and dandy as long as you don't have to communicate any important values with anyone else.

Magic numbers are a gift of nature, a luminous thing of beauty, like all magic. They are one of the world's wonders that plodding dullards who value mass production over craftsmanship and plastic over cellular structure try to stamp out in order to impose a gray uniform consistent dullness.

Magic numbers are a gift of nature, a luminous thing of beauty, like all magic. They are one of the world's wonders that plodding dullards who value mass production over craftsmanship and plastic over cellular structure try to stamp out in order to impose a gray uniform consistent dullness.
And they produce a superior mind, right? :tongue:

And they produce a superior mind, right? :tongue:

Obviously. Q.E.D.

I'll tell you when the issues come. (As an example) Years ago when I was still doing some research. We needed a device that was built to up to 1mm accuracy. The folks who were trying to build it for us used imperial system. And they would claim the device is "quarter inch" accurate, then they would go "1/16 of an inch".. damn it (I was telling them), just come and try to measure this "1/16 of an inch".. just an example of how many times we ran into problems, which costed time and money (and sometimes failed equipment). I did subcontract NASA years ago, did some little thing for them. The requirements and technical documentation were metric, then you deal with manufacturers who used imperial - and the whole fun would start. If we had to deal with any "less than an inch" accuracy things were quickly becoming messy. Yet if our partners were using metric system everything worked like charm. I can go on and on :) stop me..

Sorry , I just don't get your problem, what difference is accuracy whether it's measured to 1/64th or .397? How do the units of measure matter, they are just units of measure?

I can see you having 'translation' problems if you're talking metric all the time and having to convert it back and forth with your counterparts, but I don't see how the accuracy is an issue depending on which system you are using for the measuring.

Regardless, the average America, nor the average European, I'd venture somewhere in the 99.95 percent of the population needs to do any calculations or measurements of those sorts ever in their lifetime. You seem to be trying to apply some extreme scientific and manufacturing examples to be all encompassing as evidence why everyone needs to be metric.

We all understand that. The question remains: Why are you opposed to eliminating this limitation?

I'm not opposed to it. I especially like it for diving. So, bring it on brother! I'll raise you 1 km to your 250 m.

Sorry , I just don't get your problem, what difference is accuracy whether it's measured to 1/64th or .397? How do the units of measure matter, they are just units of measure?
None, until you have to add 37/64 of an inch to 5/8 of an inch.

It's not a matter of "being able" to use both, it's a matter of having to use both. For Europeans it's mostly a humorous footnote, unless they travel to an affected area, at which point it becomes a minor inconvenience. Other than that, they really don't care.

Didn't you just describe the American experience also? For American's the metric system is mostly a humorous footnote, unless they travel to an effected area at which point it becomes a minor inconvenience, other than that, they really don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom