On the advantages of a leaking mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As to spitting on the mask, I find it disgusting.
Considering the amount of snot I have running from my nose whenever I surface, the potential disgustingness of a few drops of spit is one of my minor issues with diving.

The tongue works wonders.
I totally agree!

Um, we're still talking about mask defogging here, right?

As to spitting on the mask, I find it disgusting. The chemistry is much more advanced than it was 50 years ago. I use Sea Gold antifog, it costs $6 and is good for 70-100 dives. It works much better than spit. It lasts for 3-4 dives. Why not use technological advances if they are available and dirt cheap? I see people staying on the surface on big waves, trying to spit on their masks, struggling, and still having fogged masks. I just want to ask them "effin why?"

Can't argue if you find it disgusting, that's up to you. But as for why spit in a mask?

it's free
it's always with me
it's fast
it always works

My mask is spit and cleaned and I'm sitting their waiting, in the time it takes somebody just to find their defog and begin taking the top off, not to mention actually applying it, all the while there are 2 or 3 other people sitting waiting for their turn at the magic defog bottle. In the time all that takes place I could take a nap.

Spit, scrub, rinse, done.

"Hey what are you guys doing?" "I know I had defog in my bag somewhere... where is it..." dig, dig, dig...anybody got any defog?" "Sure, I have some let me get it, its in my bag... dang I know it's in here somewhere..." "oh wait, my buddy has some.. oh he just went to the head, he will be right back..maybe the dive master has some?" :idk:

Spit, scrub, rinse, done. To each their own, but the whole defog rodeo routine wore me out a long time ago.

"Hey what are you guys doing?" "I know I had defog in my bag somewhere... where is it..." dig, dig, dig...anybody got any defog?" "Sure, I have some let me get it, its in my bag... dang I know it's in here somewhere..." "oh wait, my buddy has some.. oh he just went to the head, he will be right back..maybe the dive master has some?" :idk:

It's part of the fun - socializing :) While you are waiting in the water after spitting on the mask, I'll start conversation with some girl by offering her a defog :)

While you are waiting in the water after spitting on the mask, I'll start conversation with some girl by offering her a defog :)
To each his own. I found several years ago that spit is a great, um, lubricant for certain intergender activities. In fact, I think it works a lot better than Johnson's baby shampoo.

... In fact, I think it works a lot better than Johnson's baby shampoo.

No, don't use baby shampoo for thaaaat.. modern chemistry makes wonders.... we are pretending that we are talking about masks, right?

It's part of the fun - socializing :) While you are waiting in the water after spitting on the mask, I'll start conversation with some girl by offering her a defog :)

Where is this that you are diving where there are these items you refer to as girls?

What would you do if she said "No thanks, I just use spit in my mask"?

What would you do if she said "No thanks, I just use spit in my mask"?

It means she is very polite, because she could have told me: "Hey, a*hole, brush off. Did you see this guy who just licked his mask? That kinda capabilities in a man I'm looking for"..

Well.. spit people to spit people, chemistry people to chemistry people..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom