Overseas Travel with Mesh Bag for Your Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a mesh "backpack" type dive bag inside my roll around. I do not use the roll around on the boat or whatever conveyance gets me to the dive site, I use the mesh dive backpack for that. N

I've always found the mesh bags for carrying snorkel gear to be a complete pain. Have had a Mares backpack style mesh bag since the way back days. It along with my gear fits into a rolling bag and upon reaching my destination, it gets used to schlep the gear. Not needed for a liveaboard. It's been washed many times a very easily packs and almost weighs nothing.

For liveaboard, I only bring a rolling canvas duffle that stows flat after it's emptied of gear and clothing.

I just brought the Dive Caddy G3 DiveCaddy G3 Travel Gear System. 3rd Generation - YouTube It is kind of like a backpack but folds up and supposedly fits your dive gear in the overhead. I am now debating wither or not to buy the Go Pro 4 and leave the DSLR home. With the cost of baggage or flying business class to allow enough weight in baggage economy is the way to go.

The trick with checking in mesh bag is to shrink wrap it at the airport. Make sure it's tightly packed.
I usually pay about $3-10 per pack.

As option, add another cheap duffel bag inside or outside mesh bag. At end of the trip, you can split the bags for wet and dry. Shrink wrap the wet bag again.

Regulator & dive comp should be carry-on.

I usually do this for short haul trip with budget airline.

Back
Top Bottom