Isla Mujeres for a month

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
New to the board, but looking for ideas. Wife and I are taking our kids (15,9,9) to Isla Mujeres for a month next summer. We have been many times and both dive (I enjoy it much more than she does). Want to get the 15 year old certified (she's a fish already). Looking for thoughts on cost effective options for a large number of dives over a month time frame. We have most of the gear but at $85 / 2 tank dive, it gets cost prohibitive. Wondering if there are small private dive shops that would more value the constant business more so than Americans that expect to just get what they ask each time. I feel comfortable with keeping my family safe. I will be rescue diver and will work on dive master on that trip.

Thoughts?

They are all small private dive shops there, so I think you simply need to contact some and approach them with your proposal. I'm guessing to make it appealing you should offer to pre-purchase a certain amount of dives in advance, requesting a discount for pre-payment and a bulk purchase. I'm sure you'll get a positive response to one degree or another.

The thing I would caution you on is you might end up a victim of your own scheme, in that you might regret who says yes to you. For instance you end up with a great deal and a bunch of dives and after the first few dives you end up regretting diving with them, but you'll be stuck for the rest of your trip since you're locked in.

Since you've dived there before personally I think the better choice instead of trolling all the dive shops there, I would just approach the one you currently dive with and only make them the offer. You might not get as good a deal as you might if you approach them all, but whatever deal you get, at least it's with the dive shop you know you will enjoy diving with.

Thanks for the feedback. I should correct that we have been diving many times but only is Isla once. We dove there for 6 days I think. Not happy with the dive shop there. Nickel and dime about everything even when spending thousands with them. Just thinking there is a bett option. I will wing it and post success or failure when we get back. :cool2:

If you're looking for a referral, I've dived with 3 different outfits there over the years and by far Squalo Divers was by far the best. Its been a couple of years since I've dived with them, and they have grown since then, but if they are still like they were before I'd dive with them again. Good attitudes, good equipment, actually a real PADI shop not a fake one...

I just got back from there. I dove with Carey Dive Center. I liked them and will use them again when I go back. Their prices seemed pretty reasonable too.

I found the diving in Isla Mujeres to be inferior compared to Akumal. If lots of affordable and easy diving is your plan, take the family to Bonaire. The diving is much nicer than what you get on Isla.
But if your heart is set on Isla and you go in the summer, do a whale shark snorkel trip.

Did the whale sharks last summer. Long ride out for a very short experience. Worth doing.... once.

Thanks is for the other referrals. Have looked at Carey but not Squalo. Will check that out.

---------- Post added December 18th, 2014 at 07:18 PM ----------

And I didn't mention that we have a Spanish language instructor we are high on on Isla. part of the reason we are going there. We have been to Akumal and stayed in half moon bay in a condo. We're not diving on that trip so a much different experience. It's not at far down the coast so we may take a trip when we are there for a month this summer.

Your kids will have a better overall dive experience on Bonaire.

I would have to agree that Isla offers a better cultural experience.

Depends on what your primary goals are.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom