Catalina Express

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on the 9am from San Pedro to Avalon this morning and they weighed most of the bags - anyone with an obviously light bag was waved through.

Has anyone departed from Long Beach recently and are they still weighing dive boxes? What do you do if you are over? We are planning to go over and would appreciate an update.
Thanks

They still weigh. Sometimes they'll give you some leeway (I've seen them let people through who were just a few pounds over). If there's an issue, remove your reg/octo and put it in your backpack. You can also bring an extra mesh bag, and separate anything that is over into that.

This makes no sense to me. They now weigh your bag going and it must be under 50 pounds. What prevents you from putting all the stuff you took out of your bag to make weight back into your bag after they weigh it? In fact, as a diver, they allow you up to two bags at 50# each. They don't weight your bags when you come back when everything you brought is now soaking wet and heavier. So instead of putting all your dive gear in one bag or box, you put it into a box, a backpack or two bags and you carry your weights. This juggling of gear usually results in a slow parade to the boat with stuff dropping or requiring the vocal assistance of a crewman to hustle you onboard.

If they don't care how much weight you bring aboard essentially ( if they give you the 2 bags at 100 #'s total plus a carry on - your weights presumably ) why not let the poor guy get on the boat with all his / her stuff in one bag?

If the concern is for the welfare of the crew, I could maybe understand if they actually did move or lift your bags. But they don't at Long Beach Landing which is the place we are talking about. From my experience, it's up to the passenger to get all this stuff on and off the boat.

This makes no sense to me. They now weigh your bag going and it must be under 50 pounds. What prevents you from putting all the stuff you took out of your bag to make weight back into your bag after they weigh it? In fact, as a diver, they allow you up to two bags at 50# each. They don't weight your bags when you come back when everything you brought is now soaking wet and heavier. So instead of putting all your dive gear in one bag or box, you put it into a box, a backpack or two bags and you carry your weights. This juggling of gear usually results in a slow parade to the boat with stuff dropping or requiring the vocal assistance of a crewman to hustle you onboard.

If they don't care how much weight you bring aboard essentially ( if they give you the 2 bags at 100 #'s total plus a carry on - your weights presumably ) why not let the poor guy get on the boat with all his / her stuff in one bag?

If the concern is for the welfare of the crew, I could maybe understand if they actually did move or lift your bags. But they don't at Long Beach Landing which is the place we are talking about. From my experience, it's up to the passenger to get all this stuff on and off the boat.

They're frickin retarded.

This makes no sense to me. They now weigh your bag going and it must be under 50 pounds. What prevents you from putting all the stuff you took out of your bag to make weight back into your bag after they weigh it? In fact, as a diver, they allow you up to two bags at 50# each.

Actually a diver can have a third bag that can be another 50#.

So I did take the Cat Express out of Long Beach on 11/25. It seemed quite random as to who they asked to have the bags weighed. We had all three of ours. Since we had just been on a flight that also had the 50# limit, it was not a big deal.

We then dragged them to the hotel, but after that we rented taxi's to get back and forth from the dive park.

It does seem strange that they even bother weighing them here though as the crew never touched any of our bags.

Great fun though, I will be back! Also laughed at the fact I used a Senior discount for the first time ever. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom