Comparison of batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My suex xjoy 7 needs a new battery, and I've been looking for the possibility to upgrade the battery pack.
The original battery is a 24V 15Ah SLA. I found a replacement pack on batteryspace.com, this was a LiFePO4 battery, but with same dimentions and output so it would be a matter of just swapping out the existing battery.

But the big question is - will I get a longer burn time with LiFePO4 battery compared to the SLA, given they are both 24V 15Ah?

Link to the battery: Powerizer LiFePO4 Battery: 12V 15Ah (180Wh, 30A rate) with PCB & LED Indicator - Replace SLA with 5 times longer life

My suex xjoy 7 needs a new battery, and I've been looking for the possibility to upgrade the battery pack.
The original battery is a 24V 15Ah SLA. I found a replacement pack on batteryspace.com, this was a LiFePO4 battery, but with same dimentions and output so it would be a matter of just swapping out the existing battery.

But the big question is - will I get a longer burn time with LiFePO4 battery compared to the SLA, given they are both 24V 15Ah?

Link to the battery: Powerizer LiFePO4 Battery: 12V 15Ah (180Wh, 30A rate) with PCB & LED Indicator - Replace SLA with 5 times longer life

You should contact the manufacturer or distributor.

There are all sorts of concerns such as discharge rate, on/offgassing, explosion, fir, etc.

From the manual:

Caution
— Do not immerse the battery in water or allow it to get wet

It's an upgrade battery made to replace sla technology, the specs are the same so I dont think that would be an issue at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an upgrade battery made to replace sla technology, the specs are the same so I dont think that would be an issue at all.

It's a completely different chemistry, with a different charge/discharge curve, and requires a different charger.

It's one thing to pop it into a kid's toy and quite another to take it underwater.

may i say what it's my experience...i sale and trade batteriy for bike and other devices...LiFePO4 are good batteries with different chemistry, need a proper charger, this is true. But in commerce you can find LiFePo4 assembled in the same formats and voltages of lead battery, like this case. I use it normally and have quite the same rate, capacity and etc of lead battery. I use one in my torch ( a scubapro one) and have 55 min. counter 61 min of burning time of the original lead battery Gates-Cyclon. I charge exactly with the same charger. LiFePo4 are sealed ones in metal case and have no gas emission. I have buyed a specifically made battery pack Li-Ion for my scubapro DPV and i have a longer running time, but this is a differente case...So my opinion is you can buy the battery and replace it...check the dpv in a light dive few times..if all is ok...you have a lighter DP. What about buoyancy ? Good luck

A little update, I replaced the original SLA battery pack with a custom made 20Ah Li-ion from www.bmsbattery.com. So far it has exceeded my expectations and I'm very satisfied. Longer burn time and the scooter has more thrust (at least it feels like). Added lead to it to get the weighting right, and it trims out just as it did before the upgrade. I could not be happier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can attest to that also, my friend who owns XJoy 7 has upgraded to similar configuration using 20 Ah Li-ion and changed from 3 bladed props to 4 bladed. We've been testing in currents and towing divers in doubles and it is definitely a performer.
It runs noticeably faster and runtime has been extended to more than 2 hours.
And yes, had to add more lead to get the trim right.
It should come from factory this way.
They would sell more scooters.

I totally agree, but I bet the price would take a big jump up then...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom