Storing Lithium Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know the answer to your question, but the 18650 batteries are really inexpensive. What I'd suggest is an XTAR charger like the VP2, which shows the voltage and the state of charge of the battery so you can see yourself if the battery is self discharging and the rate.

XTAR VP2 Charger | XTAR Direct

Well, as I said, the batteries and cheap charger came with the torch.

I suppose when this battery dies I'll be looking for both a replacement and a better charger….

Can you recommend some reputable brands?

Keep in mind that I live in rural Thailand. These sorts of batteries are not available locally. Also, since they cannot be mailed from the US, I need to order from somewhere in Asia.

I generally order from AliExpress, but after watching the YouTube video I wonder if it's even possible to locate a reputable source.

Perhaps I should have stuck to Alkaline….

For an expert electronic technician, it' simple to assembly LiFePO4 battery without the BMS battery management system and recharge without any problem... i do this in an old oceanic lamp for...test or experiment and the lamp works very well. I do this with 18650 cells cfrom crashed laptop battery .Storage for a LiPO is not a problem of charge...problems comes with temperature..store as cool possible but not frozen and be very careful about not surcharge , i mean respect the correct and amps. ..lithyum battery start to decay directly after production. This is why is not a good idea to keep the battery in a laptop pc and use it always connected to the power with the battery inside. see here

Advantages & Limitations of the Lithium-ion Battery - Battery University

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Perhaps I should have stuck to Alkaline….

Ding ding ding. You'd be hard pressed to get a more reliable, broadly useful, and 'any crap C-cell battery you can find' eating light than a LM 3W LED. If I didn't own two Photon Torpedos, which are basically the same light but slightly shorter, I'd still own two of them.

Shearwater calculated that running their computer off cheap AAs was something like twice to four times less expensive for the same 500 hours of runtime vs. fancier batteries. I suspect the same is likely true of dive lights. Short of an application demanding ultra power in a tiny, light package - like weapon lights - I don't see the advantage. Especially in rural Thailand.

I agree with Mike that Ultrafire don't have good reputation. Dr. Lecter: a dive computer is one thing -- it does not draw much current, a dive light is something else. The 18650 batteries hold more energy than 3 AA batteries in a smaller and lighter package. Most of these batteries come from China anyway these days. The dependable brands are Panasonic, XTAR and some others. They cost about $10-$15.

I have a mix of Trustfire, Panasonic and XTAR, some of which have been sitting in my box for a month or more and when I checked them on the XTAR charger they all hold most of their charge.

That's a good source for the 18650 batteries. I bought my Panasonics from them. One thing about the LG batteries you link to is that they're unprotected. Most experts recommend protected batteries as you're less likely to damage them by overcharging or overdischarge. Also the unprotected batteries are a little shorter.

Thanks to all. I've learned a lot here.

If you are looking for high quality 18650 industry cells, look at Panasonic, Sony, Sanyo or Samsung and only take cells with Mangan (Mn) in their chemistry. Last thing important is the presence of a protection circuit. Then you can't be wrong-
nice side effect here - the printed capacity is correct with all these cells - avoid all from China, including Trustfire.

And if you what to take good care about your battery, read this article from the battery pope: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom