How many of you really like to dive with a snorkel on your mask!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP------Why not???....worst thing that might happen is it save your life one day---but---maybe you're 'ready to go'.............:)

Last edited:
This is a double edged sword.:admin:

I know i carry a foldable snorkel
in a Ziplock bag(keeps Clean) in case i need one. Once on i dive we surfaced far way from the shore and my buddy and i were the only ones in the group with foldable snorkels. We took a compass heading to the shore and swim. The other divers whined about not having one, i felt so bad i ask do you want cheese to go with the whine.:D

I agree it is an entanglement hazard but a simple foldable snorkel can help if you surface far from the boat and long surface swim.

For instructors it is required when teaching open water and other classes. One other side, I am sure some of us have seen students grab their snorkel instead of their inflator hose and start adding air through the snorkel.
:amazed:

What works best for your situation without violating standards.

Last edited:
OP------Why not???....worst thing that might happen is it save your life one day---but---maybe you're 'ready to go'.............:)

Can you please elaborate on how exactly it can save my life one day!!!

This snorkel topic is a bit like Marmite - you either love it or you hate it! Personally I wear a snorkel all of the time, purely out of habit through teaching so many OW & DSD's, and Im so used to it being there I barely notice it so it doesn't annoy me. But I can see how it would if you're not used to it. I do miss it on the odd occasion it's not on my mask though, and like using it for surface swims and checking the descent area. I know this could be done with my reg, but its just habit now I suppose.

I began my divorce from my snorkel when on my DM course in full cold water rig I reached for my inflator to slow my descent in heavy dry gloves and discovered that that corrugated hose in my hand was my snorkel.....too late to avoid the basilisk stare from the instructor as I nearly crashed into the bottom in front of our students. :dork2:

I have one, or two, around here...somewhere.

Last time I used one was when I went snorkeling at Chankanaab park about 2004 or 2005. Or was that 2003? :D

I'm soon going to St. John with my wife - who isn't a diver (and will never be) and is at most a novice snorkeler. I might dive some but my primary mission is to introduce my wife to the wonders below that can be experienced with seriously little monetary expenditure and effort. I started snorkeling about 60 years ago and still love it. All those who disparage a snokel are missing a big bang.

Back
Top Bottom