Need suggestions for Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luscioman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will be on a cruise and will be in Cayman on Thanksgiving Day. I was planning on going diving in the morning and doing snorkeling after lunch with the family. Is it best to do Eden for both? Or should I do a boat dive and then do snorkeling somewhere else? I want to be able to leave my gear somewhere safe and not have to go back to the ship to drop it off.

Eden Rock is really tired. It was 10 years ago when we first dove it. Being 300? yds. from the cruise port hasn't done it much good. It would be a decent snorkel though as parts of the reef almost break the surface in some areas. They do have lockers however IIRC. Devils Grotto is a better dive - lots of swimthru's but it's pretty plain. When the Silversides are in there in summer the Tarpon feeding is worth watching but they're gone now. In a week of diving, Eden Rock was the worst we did. It kind of ends around 40' and becomes sandy - also the closest ships moor just off there - now that they have thrusters the vis must be affected. Personally I wouldn't want to get too close to one either - they're not shrouded.

If your plan is to snorkel with the family there in the afternoon there's a couple of better morning dive options nearby - shops that will get you out on some Wall (not sure about weather conditions on T-giving) for a couple of dives. They'd probably hold your gear till you wanted it back also - they do that for non-cruise guests. Some options:

Don Fosters is the cruise operator for most of the lines. They're a little farther south of Eden Rock - they do have a shuttle but it's walkable. Wouldn't be my choice personally since they have a lot of large boats but they do a lot of cruise traffic. Don Foster's Dive Grand Cayman

North less than 1/2 mi. is Lobster Pot Dive Center. They book Wall to Wall and Deep Blue - both are good operators. I personally recommend Wall to Wall. Off the Wall also works from that area. Google any of them - they all have websites. All 3 are 6-8 divers max operations.
Cruise Ship Visitors to Grand Cayman |
Off The Wall Divers - Grand Cayman Scuba Diving for small groups.

Another option might be head down to Sunset House via cab - short ride, you'll see your ship from there. At one time there were lockers there in the restrooms but no one would mess with your gear if you left it near the wall by the dive dock either. You could all dive/snorkel there - My Bar for lunch (good sandwiches waterfront) and the Cathy Church photo gallery/store in the main building is worth a look. Also the Salt Water Pool is a very easy entry for the family - walk down steps into the pool - it's open to one side to the ocean. Sunset House - Grand Cayman's Hotel for Divers, by Divers - Sunset House

For my dive I would actually prefer to go out on a boat. However would like to be able to do snorkeling from the shore with the family after.

Check out Cayman Turtle divers. Great rates and was a really good outfit. I enjoyed my dives with them. I went to take the gear out of the truck they picked me up in and told me to leave it alone that they will carry it to the boat because that is what they get paid to do. Surprised me a little I have to admit. But that was not the only reason I thought they were good.

For snorkling I had a good time at Starfish point and there is also a reef right by the Westin hotel that was amazing. I did a lot of reading and researching myself before I went. A lot of places I read and hear while I was on the Island are beat up because of the (bad)cruise divers. Depending on how much time you have you can do a 2 tank trip with them.

I did the North wall and Kittiewake wreck and had a blast. The North wall can be rough getting there and at the surface before you go down but the reef and wall are great!

http://www.caymanturtledivers.com/dive-rates

I'd be concerned with getting back to the boat on time, if doing boat diving(1st)----ie, what time is the ship leaving out that afternoon???.......In my experience(limited to 4 days of diving while on a cruise ship ---@ St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas, and Cozumel----maybe it's different for GC though)--if I remember correctly--- each time I was kinda pressed for not much time after boat diving........

first, November is still low season, we were there in September and dove the whole week with Don Fosters, and we were 4 people in the said large boats, even had the biggest one for just the two of us for the last couple of days
they do 2 tank morning dives and depending on where they go the latest you will be back at the shop is 1PM, can be as early as 12PM, you need to let them know what your schedule is like, and they will accommodate you
as for prices, i dare anyone to find cheaper prices then Don Foster, i looked at every single dive shop there and nobody beat theirs
they have a house reef where you can do your snorkeling afterwards, it is also where the night dives are done also they have plenty of free storage, where you can leave your gear
we had a car and after the morning dives drove downtown, virtually 5 minutes away, if that

the said large boats, even had the biggest one
Wait...is 48' a large boat or not? I don't get your point...

You got lucky...were there any big ships in the harbor that week? :D

Cayman Sky - 48ft/15m twin screw, V-hull - max. 24 divers
Cayman Wall - 40ft/12m single screw, V-hull - max. 16 divers
- See more at: Don Foster's Dive Grand Cayman

as for prices, i dare anyone to find cheaper prices then Don Foster, i looked at every single dive shop there and nobody beat theirs
looks like you missed one...$95. And I didn't check every single shop on Cayman - only 4 before I found this...
Cayman Scuba diving rates by Living the Dream Divers

Our Dream Boat is US Coast Guard certified to carry up to 24 divers, we limit the numbers to offer the best service possible.

Boat Specs

Built: 2011 Louisiana Newton Boats
Length: 36ft in water, 40ft tip to tip
They don't specify what the limit is but only carry 18 lifejackets so it's got to be the same or less than Foster's assuming two are for the crew.

Also there's:
Prices | WalltoWallDiving.com ? Personally Guided Grand Cayman Diving at it's Best!
We certainly have and believe that the most important factors are: Location, safety, small groups
Deep Blue Divers ? Our Rates For Scuba Diving In Grand Cayman

These two^ also happen to be at LobsterPot. Both are also $99. Excuse me, Deep Blue is $100. But:
We take a maximum of 8 divers

Off the Wall located there is $109 though. So one that fits your claim...

Also Neptune's is $100 even. As are a lot of other shops. For $5 more Ambassador will go with 2:
With small groups of 2 to 8 divers

So 24 divers or 2 divers - which is likely to be a better dive...hmmm. Plus we know there's going to be cruise traffic that day since the OP is on one. I personally avoid downtown Georgetown those days...:rofl3:

Apparently there are currently schools of silversides at Cheeseburger Reef which is off Burger King on N. Church Street not far from The Lobster Pot Dive Centre & snorkelable from shore. An easy walk from your tender drop off point.

Apparently there are currently schools of silversides at Cheeseburger Reef which is off Burger King on N. Church Street not far from The Lobster Pot Dive Centre & snorkelable from shore. An easy walk from your tender drop off point.
I dived there today, and they are there! Makes for great swimthroughs.

Back
Top Bottom