Recommended IDC in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bandaid6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am looking for recommendations on a good place to take my IDC in FL. I'm specifically looking at VA approved facilities so I can use my GI bill Benefits. I live in WA state so I can't travel to the shops in person and get a feel for them myself.

I have spoken to
The Dive station in Orlando
Seaxp in Ft. Lauderdale
EASE in Vero Beach

I'm hoping someone on here has experience with these shops "or others I don't know about" and can offer some useful advice,stories, or opinions

You might want to consider Ocean Divers or Rain Bow Reef in Key Largo. I was/am considering the IDC and those were my short list. I lean toward OD since they have a nicer facility. Both offer a bunk house. Not sure about the VA, you would have to check with them directly, but they're a big op.

Orlando is a long way from the coast so if you decide to hangout afterwards and dive/work, the Keys seem like a better option. I talked to one of the recent graduates there and he was offered a job at the shop and was teaching to get his MSDT. That's one of the advantages of a high volume operation, more opportunity. You really need the MSDT and a couple specialties like Nitrox to get a job afterwards. You can do the IDC/IE and stay an extra week or two and do the MSDT and specialty coursework immediately after, then all you need is the 25 certs and you're an MSDT. Doing it that way saves you having to return to take the MSDT.

Ocean Divers

Scuba Diving Florida Keys | Rainbow Reef Dive Center | Key Largo, FL

Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo is the #1 PADI IDC in the USA. I am proud to have been diving with them for the past 14 years. I have seen the quality of their students and the outstanding results of the training they receive firsthand on numerous occasions and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

PADI IDC Professional Scuba Instructor Development and Career Center; IDC:scuba diving, Florida keys, Key Largo, diving school, islamoraa

https://www.facebook.com/Instructor.Development.Center

Last edited:
Call Emerald Coast Scuba. Not in the Keys, and I don't know her schedule, but this lady runs a great school. Check her out.

Emerald Coast Scuba
Emerald Coast Scuba - Emerald Coast Scuba
The Coolest on the Coast Emerald Coast Scuba has been named the "Coolest Company To Go Down Under With" by On The Coast Magazine. From swimming ...

Thanks for the input, I'll look into the suggestions!

I'm looking to do the same thing (IDC plus follow-on MSDT) in MAY 2015. I'd reserved a slot with Utila Dive Center - but just found out since they're out-of-country, that the only thing the GI Bill would cover is the exam. Looking at Ocean Divers and Rainbow Reef myself (want to get as far south as possible in May) - but hoping to follow the footsteps of somebody who's already jumped through the various VA hurdles in getting their IDC (and boarding) paid for through their GI Bill.

Key Largo is a dog-friendly kind of place :D We used to bring our Australian Shepherd with us to visit all the time.

What IDC did you decide on? Rainbow Reef LOVES our veterans. They are Key Largo hosts of DIVEHEART About Diveheart | Diveheart - I have LOTS of respect for that organization!

We'll be diving with Rainbow Reef in May, so if you'll be there give me a shout :coffee:

I sent a stray dog back from Afghanistan - and I'll be returning to the US myself in April. Hopefully Shrapnel and I will be driving down the East Coast in time for Rainbow Reef's 7 MAY 15 IDC (if they get back with me).

Found a couple of dog-friendly shacks in Key Largo for IDC and have already made reservations for Memorial Day Weekend in Key West - gotta dive the Vandenberg again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom