Open Water Certification - 71 two days later

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

htatton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I completed by OW last month on October 10th and turned 71 on the 12th. It was one of the highlights of my life. My instructors, both in Montana for the pool dives and in Isla Mujeres for the Open water dives were great. They didn't cut me any slack on the skills but did provide some alternate ways of getting things done like in and out of the scuba unit on the surface. I made arrangements to hand my scuba unit and weights up before climbing the boat ladder. The boat crew was most accommodating.

I still feel like I have so much to learn and really want to get my skills down pat, so back to the pool for practice sessions.

I do have one concern. Where do I find buddies that would be comfortable diving with an old geezer? I can get everything done but I'm certainly not as frisky as I was at 30. I'm sure I will be a very conservative diver. I love to dive, but I really want to stay within my limits. I can hardly wait to get back to the warm water of the Caribbean.

Any suggestions for finding appropriate buddies to dive with. Maybe I'll just need to hire a dive master, I really don't want to be a pain for some youngster.

Thanks -- Lets get wet.

There are a lot of people who dive "gently" -- not expecting to hurry, or fight current, or cover an enormous amount of ground. I am quite sure you will be able to find buddies, if you are a pleasant, relaxed person who loves the water.

There are a lot of people who dive "gently" -- not expecting to hurry, or fight current, or cover an enormous amount of ground.
Definitely. And most of those are far from retirement age.

There are several advantages to taking it slow underwater. Lower gas consumption - thus longer dives - and better opportunities to spot cool critters are perhaps the two most obvious ones.

Find yourself in my part of the world give me a shout i would be happy to dive with you!

I think you will find that many more people than you think will be comfortable diving with you, with your attitude of diving your limits and apparent eagerness to learn.

My experience would suggest try to find a club and get to know some divers, you then soon make some friends and know who you prefer to dive with.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2014 at 10:23 AM ----------

Oh and just enjoy it!

Welcome to scuba and good luck.

I completed by OW last month on October 10th and turned 71 on the 12th. It was one of the highlights of my life. My instructors, both in Montana for the pool dives and in Isla Mujeres for the Open water dives were great. They didn't cut me any slack on the skills but did provide some alternate ways of getting things done like in and out of the scuba unit on the surface. I made arrangements to hand my scuba unit and weights up before climbing the boat ladder. The boat crew was most accommodating.

I still feel like I have so much to learn and really want to get my skills down pat, so back to the pool for practice sessions.

I do have one concern. Where do I find buddies that would be comfortable diving with an old geezer? I can get everything done but I'm certainly not as frisky as I was at 30. I'm sure I will be a very conservative diver. I love to dive, but I really want to stay within my limits. I can hardly wait to get back to the warm water of the Caribbean.

Any suggestions for finding appropriate buddies to dive with. Maybe I'll just need to hire a dive master, I really don't want to be a pain for some youngster.

Thanks -- Lets get wet.

As already stated lots of people like to dive slow and easy. You'll be surprised how many people will be happy to dive with you. I'd rather dive with a mature sensible person than some young hotshot! :idk: I am hoping to retire in a few months when I reach 65 and find more buddies who are out of the rat race and into diving while others are at work.

If you make it over here.. give me a yell. Oh an just maybe I would be able to introduce you to the Guineas Book World record holder for oldest unassisted Scuba Dive. I think Soul was 86 when he decided to break the record he set a when he was a youngster of 82!

Welcome to a great sport. Weightless is good for us...

Last edited:
71s not old! Plenty of divers will be extremely willing to dive with you I'm sure.

As stated earlier in the thread, divers tend to be more skeptical of the young then the more elderly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I get paired up with an 'instabuddy', I often do better with older divers because they are happy to go at my slow, slow pace. Some of the best dives I had were with a 60something year old grandmother. I'm 32.

Back
Top Bottom