Bumphead Charlie Foxtrot or Never Doubt Wisnu!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll be there Monday, November 24 & Tuesday the 25th. We're hoping to do 1 night dive & 2 or 3 day dives plus a day trip to Tirta Gangga.

Night Dive: What is your favorite and what time is best in the area (Liberty Slope, Coral Garden, Kubu, or someplace else)?

Daytime: I want to see the wreck and at either the wall or coral garden. What time should I go out to avoid crowds, but still fit in some time at Tirta Gangga? How long is the drive to the palace?

Night Dive: What is your favorite and what time is best in the area (Liberty Slope, Coral Garden, Kubu, or someplace else)?
Liberty slope beats anywhere else if you're into small critters.
If you had more time on the east coast, I would suggest you try once the Japanese wreck in Amed... but it's a long way, about 1hr drive from Tulamben.

Eventr--A night dive to start? Um, might not be a good move if you have done a lot of traveling first to get to Tulamben. Checking in etc. takes up time and night time adds it's own challenge for entry on a rocky beach. Doable of course, just not my idea of a fun first dive. Can't imagine anyone offering more than the wreck for a night dive. (ie--Kubu is a 2 tank dive due to needing to drive there, Coral Garden is an even rockier entrance and you won't see the wreck.) You could dive the wreck day and night for days and have great dives each time--with a good guide of course!

I offer no guidance for how you can possibly fit in 2 day dives and see a palace. Maybe consider less quantity, stick with the quality? Bali has never struck me as the place to try to fit in too much travel or activity but that's just me. I'm in Tulamben now, diving away, and just typing this has almost left me too wiped to have breakfast before diving. Almost...:eyebrow: //

Naut--Well, the first nom anyway. (The latter nom was a typo that I never noticed for several posts, since I meant to type Wonk, but I never did figure out how to change it w/out signing up again.) I'd have to say 83F is just ducky for me. I hope folks don't think all the diving is somehow crowded. It's not and certainly, as Mike and Charlier mentioned, plenty of ways to avoid those horde folks. For example, a 2 tank dive this morning at Batuniti was flush with froggies and critters of all sorts, it's a good muck site--and there were only 4 other divers there the whole time we were.

Just finished an afternoon dive on the wreck (got in around 4:30pm) and traffic was real light, as in most everyone was on that long ride back to wherever. LDR's new addition is superb, not just for the new bungalows, restauarant and landscaping but the dive setup works very smoothly. Jackie runs a good shop. // ww

Thanks for the recommendation. Setting up a trip for next September (wow that seems like a long way away) :depressed:

Eventr--A night dive to start? Um, might not be a good move if you have done a lot of traveling first to get to Tulamben. Checking in etc. takes up time and night time adds it's own challenge for entry on a rocky beach. Doable of course, just not my idea of a fun first dive. Can't imagine anyone offering more than the wreck for a night dive. (ie--Kubu is a 2 tank dive due to needing to drive there, Coral Garden is an even rockier entrance and you won't see the wreck.) You could dive the wreck day and night for days and have great dives each time--with a good guide of course!

I offer no guidance for how you can possibly fit in 2 day dives and see a palace. Maybe consider less quantity, stick with the quality? Bali has never struck me as the place to try to fit in too much travel or activity but that's just me. I'm in Tulamben now, diving away, and just typing this has almost left me too wiped to have breakfast before diving. Almost...:eyebrow: //

Thanks for your input! We're completely open to diving the wreck for our night dive. What time is good to see the wreck at night? Who is your favorite guide, at what Dive Op??

I believe that the "liberty slope" site that Luko referred to is part of the wreck?

I'm hopeful that we can make a night dive work our first evening in town. That will be our 8th day in Bali. We will be taking a boat from Lembongan (8:30-9:10 am), then a leisurely 3- 5 hour drive up from Sanur (stopping along the way). That puts us in town around 2:00 PM.

-----------

I understand what you are sharing about not rushing, but 2 activities in one day is a slow day for me.

I read above that the Liberty Wreck dive is better at 8:30 AM to miss the sunrise & the mid-day crowds. Do you agree??

I was thinking that we do dive #1 from 8:30 - 9:30
Surface and travel to next site from 9:30 - 10:30
Dive #2 from 10:30 - 11:30
Leave for the water temple by 12:30 (after cleaning up and a snack)
30 minutes to the palace, hang there for 3 hours, 30 minute return
We will still be back in town at 4:30 - - well before sunset (and if it's after sunset, that's OK too. - Perfect!! :)

. . . then a leisurely 3- 5 hour drive up from Sanur (stopping along the way). That puts us in town around 2:00 PM.
. . . - Perfect!! :)

I've only been to Bali four times, but I would never ever consider driving there. Hire a driver and a car. It is cheap and I would never describe driving in Bali as "leisurely".

JohnN is correct. Hire a mature driver..emphasize no hurry. Somehow they find their wsy and dodge the scooters.

JohnN is correct. Hire a mature driver..emphasize no hurry. Somehow they find their wsy and dodge the scooters.

I hear you!! - - I'm actually planning on hiring a driver (I try to get out of driving in the states... I wouldn't begin to consider it there!!) Luckily, I have a friend of a friend who lived in Sanur for 4 years. She is sending me names of her favorite drivers. - - And, I'll let him know that we are not in a hurry. We plan to stop for lunch in Candidasa and maybe check out a couple of sites along the way.

I'll be there Monday, November 24 & Tuesday the 25th. We're hoping to do 1 night dive & 2 or 3 day dives plus a day trip to Tirta Gangga.

Daytime: I want to see the wreck and at either the wall or coral garden. What time should I go out to avoid crowds, but still fit in some time at Tirta Gangga? How long is the drive to the palace?

Tirta Gangga and a couple of dives in Tulamben is perfectly feasible - It is a 30'+ drive from Tirta Gangga to Tulamben (I often rent a house with the family in Tirta Gangga, and drive to Tulamben in the morning for a couple of dives and back for lunch at the villa :)).

I would recommend that you visit in the late afternoon when the sunlight is at its best, and dont forget to go for a walk in the surrounding rice paddies - You will have plenty of time for 2 to 3 dives in Tulamben prior.

Alternatively you can stop in Tirtagangga on the way to or from Tulamben, it is on road to Denpasar...

30 minutes to the palace, hang there for 3 hours

Anyone else thinks 3 hours is too long at Tirta Gangga (unless you leisurely eat at the restaurant at the palace).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom