Calling those who have lost significant amount of weight - wetsuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrox624

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This seems like the correct forum for this.

Over the last year I have gone from 238 pounds to 165 currently. I have pretty much dove in a 3mm shorty my whole diving life and been comfortable temperature wise. My current 3mm wetsuit no longer fits and I need to purchase another one. However I am thinking about going with just a rash guard instead of a wetsuit since most of my diving is in Mexico.

Has anyone else lost this amount of weight and found that you get colder on dives than you did before? I am afraid to go just rash guard and then end up getting cold.

Firstly, congratulations. I don't think it's too much of a question in that a 3mm full or shorty seem just fine for a vast majority in Mexico. An easy solution is to have a rash guard and you can easily slip a shorty over it if you get cold. Or wear both and remove shorty if to hot. Weight wise it's only about 4 lbs of lead. And both are fairly inexpensive.

Congrats on the diet!

I'm sure at your new weight you can find plenty of shorty to fit comfortably, and on sale (the big sizes are never on sale :sad: ).
Tons of choices in the $100 +/- $20.
Better to have it and find out you don't need it, than to need it and not have. Remember if you are doing a lot of diving you will probably get colder as the day goes on.

I also lost a significant amount of weight a couple of years back. A couple revelations that came out of it:
1. You'll need to relearn your buoyancy...you have a new body after all.
2. Prepare for the possibility of getting colder easier....I went from a 3 mil to a 5 mil in the same waters. Less natural insulation.
3. I replaced a good deal of fat with muscle and required less than half of the lead than I did before.
4. Wetsuits suddenly got cheaper!

*Heed #2......it was a huge difference for me!

Over the last year I have gone from 238 pounds to 165 currently. I have pretty much dove in a 3mm shorty my whole diving life and been comfortable temperature wise. My current 3mm wetsuit no longer fits and I need to purchase another one. However I am thinking about going with just a rash guard instead of a wetsuit since most of my diving is in Mexico.

I went from 225 to 170 and nothing really changed temperature-wise for me.... but I dive DRY anywhere and everywhere.

:d

However the benefit I did notice was that my SAC rate improved greatly, due to not just "getting thin" but also "getting fit" at the same time.

---------- Post added November 7th, 2014 at 04:30 PM ----------

...and tell us your secret!!

Eat less. Move more.

Shhh... don't tell anyone!

Lost a similar amount. I have gone from a 2/3 jumpsuit to a 3.5. I find myself adding a vest and hood after a couple of dives quite often. Also got a nice jump in SAC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone else lost this amount of weight and found that you get colder on dives than you did before? I am afraid to go just rash guard and then end up getting cold.

Don't I just WISH!!!

I lost 50 lbs last year and had same issue with getting cold fasrer. Buy new wetsuit and take it with you to Mexico just in case. Was in cozumel in Augusr and rash guard was fine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom