Job opportunities in Maldives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oreocookie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm not sure how frequented this forum is by people currently living/working in the Maldives, so this is directed at people who have worked there in the past as well.

I'm currently job hunting and it was suggested to me that I look into the Maldives. I've seen several posts recently on the padi pro site employment board looking for instructors, but often wanting languages I don't speak. Is there much available for an English/French speaking female MSDT with only a few certs? How easy/difficult is the process of getting a work visa? Thanks in advance

Hi oreocookie,
I am currently working in Maldives.
French is a well demanded language, especially in higher-end resorts or busy dive centers, where they can afford to employ many instructors with many different languages. In smaller resorts, German and Chinese/Japanese might be more of a priority for Dive Center managers, but of course this depends a lot on the resorts' mix of clientele and DC needs. So keep looking, something will pop up at some point!

Some DCs ask for a minimum of 1 year experience as instructor, but in general I have found that it is much more important to be able to provide excellent service, and be able to live on a small remote island.
As for being female/single, this again depends a lot on each resort. Very often the accommodation will be in shared rooms, so the DCs will be looking for either couples, or specifically male/female instructors to fit into a room where they already have a male/female instructor.

Once the DC has agreed to hire you, they will take care of the visa, which is not difficult to get, but it takes some time.

Good luck!

acsomos has said it all really, but to add:
Opportunities arise but you need a bit of luck. Most dive teams are small as in 4-6 instructors which cover a range of European languages and (depending on marketing) Asian languages.

Some dive centers employ only couples... however some explicitly state that they don't want couples- especially in a smaller team where taking vacation/days off together could mean they're losing a third of their workforce.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom