Do any computers apart from Suunto show the floor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Puck. I read the warning as it supports decompression diving, but the diver should be qualified.

From page 3 of the manual:
"...never take decompression dives with PUCK unless you possess the specific license..." that is the Puck will support decompression dives
"RESPONSIBLE DIVING PRACTICES... After any decompression stops, ascend very slowly to the surface." again the puck must support decompression dives if they are stating practices for after those dives.

That appears to be the facts.

All recreational computers have what is called an emergency decompression algorithm. It is designed to get you safely to the surface in case you accidentally violate NDLs. They do not have a planning mechanism for that, though. You cannot therefore make appropriate plans for decompression as you are taught to do when you take a decompression class. Thus, these computers are not appropriate for planned decompression diving, and you cannot use them for such diving unless you do it in violation of the training you received in technical diving instruction or would have received if you had had technical instruction.

All recreational computers have what is called an emergency decompression algorithm. It is designed to get you safely to the surface in case you accidentally violate NDLs. They do not have a planning mechanism for that, though. You cannot therefore make appropriate plans for decompression as you are taught to do when you take a decompression class. Thus, these computers are not appropriate for planned decompression diving, and you cannot use them for such diving unless you do it in violation of the training you received in technical diving instruction or would have received if you had had technical instruction.

I can plan a dive using the suunto DM4 software for my helo2. That lets me cut the table I put on my slate. This weekend that will involve my back gas, my buddies back gas, and two deco gases.

All that was covered in my training.

Does that make the helo2 a technical computer?

my OSTC, Bulhmann on air, set to saturation 110% (faster), desaturation 85% (slower) says 7 min of decompression stop à 4 m, and that's safe.

Helo2 P-2 settings are more conservative than Buhlmann.

Actually that doesn't appear to be true. Taking the ascent into account (looks like 10m/min), the actual stops are 1 minute at 15m and 4 minutes at 3m. Here's the DM5 table at P-2:

Depth - Run time - Level time
30m - 2min - 22min
15m - 27min - 1min
3m - 29min - 4min
0m - 33min - 0min

seems the computers sold in USA are not the same than those sold in Europe, even if same brand and model :D
I have buddies diving at 60 m and doing decompression with Mares Puck without problems.
not the better one, but it does the job safely.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2014 at 07:29 PM ----------

Actually that doesn't appear to be true. Taking the ascent into account (looks like 10m/min), the actual stops are 1 minute at 15m and 4 minutes at 3m. Here's the DM5 table at P-2:

Depth - Run time - Level time
30m - 2min - 22min
15m - 27min - 1min
3m - 29min - 4min
0m - 33min - 0min
with a Bulhmann 100/100, i'm out at 31 min :D

*I* found the popcorn!
I want some
attachment.php
too!

I can plan a dive using the suunto DM4 software for my helo2. That lets me cut the table I put on my slate. This weekend that will involve my back gas, my buddies back gas, and two deco gases.

All that was covered in my training.

Does that make the helo2 a technical computer?

Yes. The Suunto HelO2 is definitely a technical computer designed for decompression diving, and it is advertised as such. If a computer is doing multiple gases that include helium, you can be pretty sure it is designed to be used in decompression diving.

Yes. The Suunto HelO2 is definitely a technical computer designed for decompression diving, and it is advertised as such. If a computer is doing multiple gases that include helium, you can be pretty sure it is designed to be used in decompression diving.

My Zoop behaves the same way as the helo2 for the same settings. So for a 40m dive planned as before on DM4 but with only one mix and so plenty of deco am I on a different "emergency" algorithm?

I don't think I am, I think I am on pretty much the same one plus or minus a few features. It is just as suitable for deco diving as the helo2 so long as there is only one gas.

I don't think I am, I think I am on pretty much the same one plus or minus a few features. It is just as suitable for deco diving as the helo2 so long as there is only one gas.

you are correct, but the helo2 will start clearing deco on your ascent, whereas the zoop will want you to get to between the floor and the ceiling before you start clearing deco. as a result, the actual dive profile might be very different, even if it is similar on DM4.

you are correct, but the helo2 will start clearing deco on your ascent, whereas the zoop will want you to get to between the floor and the ceiling before you start clearing deco. as a result, the actual dive profile might be very different, even if it is similar on DM4.

So are you saying the time to surface (on the zoop) will not reduce until I am close to the ceiling?

Surely the point of the floor is to define to depth at which the leading tissue group starts to off gas. Thus the floor ought to be the same for both computers.

My experience is that the helo2, my Zoop and whichever Suunto my buddy has all line up to within a minute on a typical 30m 30ish minute dive set to the same p0.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom