diver from Orlando missing while diving the Eagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even for locals? Florida residents often seem to have their own rules?

Common sense is common sense. Doesn't matter whether it's Florida or the cotton fields of Texas. A boat adrift with no one on it is a hazard to navigation, and does no one any good. A boat adrift with someone on it who doesn't know how to operate it can at least call for help. A boat adrift with someone who can run it isn't a boat adrift and no one would be swimming after it.

A relatively young woman is now a widow, maybe a child has lost it's father, and the boat owner is out a boat, small in the overall tragedy, but not so small in their minds, I'm sure.

Godspeed, Matt.

So sad. Prayers and thoughts for the family and friends of the missing diver.

As earlier posted, the Coast Guard have suspended their search for Matt Milton, our diver missing off Islamorada since Saturday. Please send positive energy, love and prayers out to Matt, and for his wonderful family. We are still hoping for a miracle...

They would like for anyone who locates anything
--- spear gun, BCD unit, tanks, or any other dive equipment, some of which should be floating, to please let us know immediately.

ANY information could be extremely helpful in what has now become their own private search.

These items would have gone into the water around Crocker Ledge off Islamorada, Florida. At this time, unless snagged on something, or submerged, they could be found anywhere between Islamorada and Cape Canaveral.

We don't care so much about the gear itself, but we do care about the LOCATION where it's found which is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. If you locate anything, please contact me or the authorities immediately. We have reached a critical point in his recovery.

Some specifics: The speargun has a brown wooden handle...brand new...purchased just for this trip...it should be floating. We are looking for two BCD units, one wetsuit, one speargun, two lp 95 steel tanks with either numbers 31, 32, 34 or 35 marked from Seminole Scuba, masks, dive watch, fins, etc.

Again, the location, of these items could be extremely important in this case. This has, as I mentioned, now become a private search...we need your help.

Please PM me if you find anything.

His wife is looking for something to give her closure, and, if nothing else, a location in which to search or a place to say her goodbyes. Please help.

Reactions: Jax
Diving from an unattended boat. Another reminder for me to avoid that in any location where I can't swim to shore.

Very sad to hear of this accident.

As an aside, most wood spearguns will sink when the shaft is attached.

Common sense is common sense. Doesn't matter whether it's Florida or the cotton fields of Texas. A boat adrift with no one on it is a hazard to navigation, and does no one any good. A boat adrift with someone on it who doesn't know how to operate it can at least call for help. A boat adrift with someone who can run it isn't a boat adrift and no one would be swimming after it.

A relatively young woman is now a widow, maybe a child has lost it's father, and the boat owner is out a boat, small in the overall tragedy, but not so small in their minds, I'm sure.

Godspeed, Matt.

I am sorry for the loss of Matt and I feel for the grieving family.

Thank you Wookie for broaching the subject of common sense. The most basic of rules for the prudent mariner seems to have been violated by these "boaters."

Again, I am sorry for the family's loss.

markm

---------- Post added November 9th, 2014 at 12:01 PM ----------

Diving from an unattended boat. Another reminder for me to avoid that in any location where I can't swim to shore.

Very sad to hear of this accident.

As an aside, most wood spearguns will sink when the shaft is attached.

Hey Dumpster Diver,

Yeah, I have dived from an unattended boat, but it was in a lake with the beach 75 feet away, and houses on the ridge top. It was a small waterway.

markm

First off, my best thoughts to the family and friends of this young man.

Diving from an unmanned boat in the Gulf Stream on a windy day when the weather is deteriorating is, clearly, not advised.

But a basic tenant of any situation where you are essentially lost is to stay put. From reading all reports, it sounds as if these two divers were relatively safe staying with the mooring attached to the Eagle. That is a place where other boats are likely to show up, and clearly the Coast Guard had information leading them to check that area.

Trying to swim after a drifting boat simply means you will wind up trying to swim against the current when you don't catch the boat and try to get back to where you were.

If you ever wind up in such a potentially tragic situation, stay put, hang onto something that is permanent. Just as if you were lost in the woods, stay where you are, you will be easier to find. The only exception is if you are in immediate danger --which these divers were actually not. They had equipment and dry-suits.

You can't fight the Gulf Stream.

Again, condolences.

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom