Do any computers apart from Suunto show the floor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you are correct, but the helo2 will start clearing deco on your ascent, whereas the zoop will want you to get to between the floor and the ceiling before you start clearing deco. as a result, the actual dive profile might be very different, even if it is similar on DM4.
false
any actual Suunto will decrease deco during the ascent.

That is definitely not my experience and in some parts of the world, the phenomena known as "Suunto time" is a running joke.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

PS. Go rack up 30 min of deco on a Gekko and let us know how you get on.

Remember that whatever computer you get it does not have any magical properties or any actual connection to what is going on physically inside your body it is only running a algorithm and calculating a Decompression time and stops based on its algorithm any conservation factor set and and your dive profile.

Always take into consideration your own personal DCS Risk when looking at how liberal or conservative you are with your diving and your dive computers algorithm. This Risk may vary even from dive to dive.

Remember that whatever computer you get it does not have any magical properties or any actual connection to what is going on physically inside your body it is only running a algorithm and calculating a Decompression time and stops based on its algorithm any conservation factor set and and your dive profile.

Always take into consideration your own personal DCS Risk when looking at how liberal or conservative you are with your diving and your dive computers algorithm. This Risk may vary even from dive to dive.

totally agree with that.

---------- Post added November 11th, 2014 at 09:55 PM ----------

false
any actual Suunto will decrease deco during the ascent.

sorry to keep going on about the same point, but this is from the suunto manual

"The floor is the deepest depth at which decompression takes place. Decompression will start when you pass this depth during your ascent".

totally agree with that.

sorry to keep going on about the same point, but this is from the suunto manual

"The floor is the deepest depth at which decompression takes place. Decompression will start when you pass this depth during your ascent".
my experience (and a lot of buddies) with Suunto shows you will decrease the deco time when ascending/staying at upper depth, by example looking fishes around 10 m.
i checked a dive logged on DM 3.1 with my Vytec DS.
max depth 35 m, ascending at 18 min, 4 min stop, staying at 10 m at 25 min for 7 min, the stop disappeared.

presumably you were above the "floor" which isn't quite the same thing as "decrease[ing] deco during the ascent". anyway, life is too short. i won't be using the basic suunto algorithm for planned deco dives any time soon.

you are correct, but the helo2 will start clearing deco on your ascent, whereas the zoop will want you to get to between the floor and the ceiling before you start clearing deco...

Andrew, this implies that the Helo2 will start clearing deco below the floor. How can that be so, given the very definition of "floor" that you later posted.

For info, from my Gekko manual:

"Rather than requiring you to make stops at fixed
depths, the dive computer lets you to decompress
within a range of depths (Continuous Decompression).
"

But of course "range of depths" presumably means floor>ceiling.

presumably you were above the "floor" which isn't quite the same thing as "decrease[ing] deco during the ascent". anyway, life is too short. i won't be using the basic suunto algorithm for planned deco dives any time soon.
here, > 50% divers use Suunto computers to do decompression dives.

how can i have the ceiling at 3 m and the floor at 10-11 m ?

according the Gekko/Zoop/Vyper/Vytec/Helo2 user guide, the floor is 1.2-1.8 m (4-6 ft) under the ceiling.

Last edited:
here, > 50% divers use Suunto computers to do decompression dives.

how can i have the ceiling at 3 m and the floor at 10-11 m ?

according the Gekko/Zoop/Vyper/Vytec/Helo2 user guide, the floor is 1.2-1.8 m (4-6 ft) under the ceiling.

I don't believe that is true. My Gekko may typically show the floor at 15m while the ceiling is at 3m. By your reckoning, one might still be incurring additional deco penalty when as shallow as 5m, which is highly unlikely unless on an extremely long dive. Could you please quote the section of a Suunto manual that says it's 1.2-1.8m under the ceiling?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom