Fiji Liveaboard - is it worth the long trip from Europe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mantajohn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am very tempted to take a Fiji liveaboard in 2015 ... but the thought of the endless hours at the back of the plane (not to mention the 12 time zones) are giving me cause to hold back from booking a great deal I was offered this week.

Fiji sounds really nice (beautiful soft corals etc etc,) but does it lack the 'wow' factor? I'm not a photographer & prefer mantas/sharks/pegics & large fish populations/density to macro critters.

Are there any Fiji enthusiasts out there who can nudge me into booking the trip?

thanks

John

I saw mantas in Fiji, some pelagics, turtles, sea snakes, tuna, wahoo, grouper and many types of sharks. Sharks were seen routinely on both the trips in most of the dive sites...which covered Kadavu and Savu Savu and Namena. I loved it all but thought Namena was really great and the guides said it could/should be better at times. Saw the Mantas in Kadavu. Mantas and other 'big stuff' may be seasonal so you ought to research that. What you will see is always up to luck and mother nature but sharks are a pretty sure bet. I think the diving is awesome, the people are friendly and its a beautiful place. I was not crazy about the bigger cities, tourist trap areas and felt the farther from them the better. There are about 800 islands so getting far from the madding crowd isn't too tough. Fiji is not really a great budget destination so if you get a deal on a live-aboard you really get the best of Fiji at a bargain price - I would jump on it. On a live-aboard your chances of seeing cool stuff of all varieties is greatly increased imho. Fiji is justly famous for soft coral too. You can often get a cheap or free side flight to Australia/New Zealand as part of flying to Fiji...fyi. That might justify the long flight. (You ought to invest/beg/borrow some kind of u/w camera, even a gopro, as it's extremely beautiful and you will regret not having one.)

I went to Fiji on board the Island Dancer in July 2013. Unseasonal bad weather was bit of a spoilsport and we missed some great dive sites as a result. Still, diving was excellent with lots of coral, colourful fish life and pelagics. We saw plenty of sharks, turtles and a few manta rays. But the trip did lack the 'wow!' factor as you put it and I could not help coming away thinking that I had missed out on the best of diving the place had to offer.

It is very common to hear the phrase "changing weather" in Fiji and it is really true. July was supposed to be sunny with calm seas if slightly cooler water. We saw the sun only sporadically during the week and the sea was quite choppy, which was what limited the itinerary. But apart from that, I found the Island dancer to be a nice little boat - only 10 divers mind - and Capt Joji and his crew among the friendliest that I have been with. If you are going, contact a local divemaster about advice on the best time of the year - the brochures can be misleading.

As for the flight connections, I strongly advice you to ignore going through South-East Asia and/or Oz; the flight connections are unfriendly, the cost high and luggage allowances not always diver friendly. As for the LA route, the airport is Nightmare Incarnate, arguably the worst in the US. I suggest Korean Air which I used from the UK. London - Seoul - Nadi and so only one change. There are hotels near Seoul airport that you can overnight in to get over the jet lag and if the connection is less than 24-hours, the airline pays for it. There is even a Transit Hotel within the airport on the airside which you can use for sub-24 hour connections with the luggage booked through.

Most importantly, I'll tell you an unadvertised facility with Korean Air; if you book with their London Office directly - NOT using on-line booking or an agent - you get a free 10 kg check-in baggage allowance over and above the 23Kg they offer. Assuming a total of 33 kilos is enough for your dive kit plus personal luggage, this works out cheaper than paying the fixed rate the airline ask for dive kit. From Newbury London is not far and if you have time, trot over to their uncrowded office one day and have a chat about all this; they are helpful.

Finally, do NOT book a flight from Nadi to Suva - a waste of time and money. Suva Airport is over 30 miles away from the city and so it is a hassle. Book one of the many land transfer vehicles who will meet and greet you at Nadi airport, take you to Suva - a quite pleasant 3.5 hour trip - and drop you to the harbour where your boat is moored. I used Fiji Transfers and they were excellent; the driver even stopped halfway along at his nice house and offered me refreshments.

Fiji is a much better dive destination that people think and a liveaboard itinerary will showcase much of the best diving the country has to offer. I suppose the issue for you is whether there are better places that you haven't been to whcih are easier to get to. Only you can answer that.

But Fiji is a wonderful liveaboard destination - make no mistake.

Hi Mantajohn,
Fiji is a great destination if you enjoy diving with pelagics! Fiji is not only famous for its colorful soft corals but also for its sharks - grey reef sharks and hammerheads – mantas, schools of barracudas, jacks and snappers, as well as napoleons, groupers and turtles. If you want to know more about the dive sites, I encourage you to have a look to our Fiji trip blogs. Fiji - Siren Fleet

I would say it is worth it.

It is more of a big fish location in that the rest of teh world's sharks have been decimated. Love the people too so it is a great experience.

While it is a good location, perhaps Maldives might give you what you are looking for but at less travel time. Anywhere else in Asia will give you similar travel times, I'd imagine, and I can't think of anywhere else that would likely have big fish, except maybe Palau, which would also be a shorter trip.

Fiji diving is fantastic. Sharks are plentiful. The mantas are seasonal in some areas but in others they are there year round. If I had a chance to get a great deal on a liveaboard there I would book it immediately.

I am very tempted to take a Fiji liveaboard in 2015 ... but the thought of the endless hours at the back of the plane (not to mention the 12 time zones) are giving me cause to hold back from booking a great deal I was offered this week.

Fiji is one of the easiest destinations in the Pacific for Americans. There is a nonstop flight from the west coast....not the half dozen flights you take to get to many other Pacific destinations. Yes, the flight is long....nothing booze and pharmaceuticals can't help you with.

Fiji sounds really nice (beautiful soft corals etc etc,) but does it lack the 'wow' factor? I'm not a photographer & prefer mantas/sharks/pegics & large fish populations/density to macro critters.

I am a photographer, so had plenty to do. The couple of dives I went without a camera were really nice. I would say that you would be plenty entertained. Don't only look at the BIG stuff, though. You miss the best stuff. Fiji has a species of pygmy seahorse seen almost nowhere else. Tiny, but worth a look!

Are there any Fiji enthusiasts out there who can nudge me into booking the trip?

thanks

John

I am an enthusiast and was there this fall. I HIGHLY recommend the Fiji Siren as a liveaboard. It is a beautiful boat, has a fantastic crew and you won't go hungry. I have been on several Siren boats and they are all well run. The Fiji Siren didn'y disappoint me.

Dang! I sound like an advertisement!!

fiji_siren_lr2.jpg

The cabins are huge

https://www.google.com/search?q=fij...M7TI4OhNriDgsgI&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1242&bih=585

Back
Top Bottom