What is the deal with lightning and scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the ocean, the lightning disperses over a large area of water. So if you are not at the surface, you are less likely to have a problem especially as you go deeper.

In fresh water, you are usually close to or under land masses. I think that is the issue. The lightning will pass through the water due to all of the land a lot easier than in the ocean. I have read threads on cave divers who were diving when lightning struck and zapped them inside of the cave.

I really don't know about all of this stuff. Just sorta repeating it. So if an expert posts, follow his/her information.

ummm this is kind of random, but here it goes.

i remeber a couple years ago maybe when i was 12 or so we did an science experiment that involved passing a current through salt (NaCl) and splitting it into chlorine and sodium.... now this is kind of far fetched, but if i took a car battery down to the ocean and stuck the two wires into the water, would Na and Cl start to come out the sides like it did five years ago?

If I remember rightly, you should should be safe below 10m in salt water and below 30m in fresh water.
I also remember reading about a scuba diver in Lake Tanganyika during a storm, who didn't feel anything while he was below 20m, but the shocks got progressively worse during deco stops nearing the surface. :lightingz

There have been a couple of threads about this over the years. IIRC there is one that mentions a diver who was touching the wall at one of the springs in Florida and he got a jolt(not serious) but others in the water at the time didn't feel a thing.

I have been in the water, both ocena and fresh, when a storm went through on several occasions. At the quarry I felt safer UW then sitting in the pavillion aiting for the storm to pass. The last place I would want to be during a lightening storm is out on the water in a boat. Its the highest thing around which makes it a natural "target" for a lightening strike.

Just couldn't resist posting these smilies..

:zap1: :zap1: :zap1:
:thinkingo

miketsp:
Just couldn't resist posting these smilies..

:zap1: :zap1: :zap1:
:thinkingo

Absolutely priceless!!!! Thanks for a great laugh!!!

Its exactly the kind of situation I have found myself in.

i remeber a couple years ago maybe when i was 12 or so we did an science experiment that involved passing a current through salt (NaCl) and splitting it into chlorine and sodium.... now this is kind of far fetched, but if i took a car battery down to the ocean and stuck the two wires into the water, would Na and Cl start to come out the sides like it did five years ago?

I'm assuming you mean NaCl in solution. Yes, the majority of the solids and/or gases that will collect around the terminals will be sodium and chlorine, but there will also be any other dissolved ionic compounds in the water that will do the same. Also, if the terminals are close enough, they will begin to break down water into hydrogen and oxygen gas. There's a lot of chemistry going on when you do that to salt water.

The only way to be truly safe from getting shocked anywhere is to be inside of a conductor. When you're inside your car you're safe because the frame and body of your car conducts electricity, NOT because your tires are rubber. If you were sitting on the hood of your car when lightning hit the trunk, you'd end up nice and toasted. The same can be true for some boats. If you're that worried about it, go build yourself a steel box to hide inside :wink: .

Don Burke:
In fact, distilled water could be called an insulator. Machines that need to pass electricity through water somehow muck the water up to get reasonable current flow.

Quite true Don. I have worked at several large nuclear power plants. Water flows through the internal parts of the electrical generators to cool them. As long as the water quality is maintained, there is no problem. Also, most of the plants have been near the ocean. One problem with this is that salt, from the sea water carried by the air, will collect on the high power lines leading to/from the site. It is not uncommon to see crews out in the switchyard with a truck spraying down the large, ceramic insulators on these high voltage lines (345 kV) to prevent arcing due to the accumulation of salt.

Strange but true. Science really works.

Rich

If you can get struck by lightning or electrocuted under water then I have what seems like a simple question. Why don't the fish get fried by the thousands and float for one big 'ol fish fry. That's kind of a pun?

maybe fish build little lightning shelters at the bottom and rush in, until the all clear is given?

Back
Top Bottom