Dive computer features

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemuzzon

Registered
Reaction score
Write your top 5-10 things you look for in a dive computer...just wanted to see how my personal ideas stacked up with the rest of the dive world.

Intuitive interface. - let me change tank size and pressure and set nitrox mix without a manual after months without diving, easily. Long battery life. Air integrated. Download to my home computer. Fairly large dive log storage for later download.

BIG, BRIGHT NUMBERS!!! I'm a member of the geriatric set, and anything small is unreadable underwater, even with the bifocals in my mask. I love not having to fuss with a backlight or getting precisely the correct angle from my dive light to read numbers in the dark. Bright displays rule!

Beyond that, I like a fairly small unit, because it's on my wrist. An intuitive interface is critical, because if the navigation through the menus is too complex, I can't remember it underwater. I liked my Tec 2G a lot, but hated the fact that I could never remember which button you pressed and how long you pressed it. Downloadable is non-negotiable, but since I invested in DivingLog.de, I no longer worry about whether the software that comes with the computer is any good or not. (I thought the Uwatec software was fabulous.). Customer service is also important, because computers DO malfunction. Liquivision has been very good to us with service, but the support for our Suuntos has been spotty.

User replaceable battery....Easy to find battery....Easy to replace battery.....Reliable/accurate....As few buttons as possible.....Easy to use buttons w/gloves.....Easy to read....No electronic compass.....Adaptable to bungee mount......Good connection to transmitter....Transmitter easy to mount to 1st stage.....Coded link to transmitter......Loud enough and bright enough alarms to hear and see.......Good customer support.........I like my Shearwaters and VT3's......

some simple basic things:
- large display
- current depth
- elapsed dive time
- remaining non deco time
- automatic activation once wet / underwater (no manual button push required!)
- some sort of night dive illumination (backlit or luminescence)
- minimum 500 dive battery life
- dive planner (not just a simple current state "planner")
- ability to download dive profile to some sort of computer
- ability to track dive profile to 10 second (or smaller) intervals
- ability to retain over 40 hours of dive profile
- bright pink case with matching sea blue strap with pictures of unicorns (I am kidding! Mostly)

My UWATEC Aladin built in 1995 provides all of these features except the 40 hours of dive profile. It is limited to 19 dives or 200 minutes of dive history. So less than 3 dives of history.

this is my personal preferences in no particular order:

- Proven technology and algorithm
- No unnecessary chrome, bells and whistles, like AI, digital compass and so on
- No "smart" logic like lockouts, or the possibility to turn those functions off. but preferably not implemented (the less bells and whistles implemented, the less complexity and less stuff that can bug up other important code)
- Clear, easy to read screen in bad visibility and darkness.
- User changeable battery
- Easy to transfer log data from PDC to PC, Mac, Phone and tablet, preferably without an expensive, proprietary, cable.
- The computer needs to take some beating and be rugged
- A clear and easy UI
- Easy to customize and change settings.

Clear display, easy to read, when diving not cluttered with frivilous data, e.g. water temp etc.
Current Depth
No Deco Time or clear indication of how close to deco I am. Bar chart Green, Amber, Red(Black)
User replaceable Battery
Dive Log for at least last 10 dives
User set and/or disable audible alarms. e.g. I like to set max depth, max time, I hate sensitive ascent alarms.
Safety stop timer or deco timer would be nice but not essential.

Back
Top Bottom