Tanks too low

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't reach your valve to turn it off, you can't reach it to turn it on either. Sometimes people forget to do that before they jump into the water. I always assumed the low tank position was a bit of a historical holdover. As I understand it, the old time double hose regulators needed to be lower in the back in order to work properly. I want the tanks where I can reach the valve(s). I'll deal with trim by other means.

The DiveRite fins are neutral in the water, so they qualify as light fins, Jet Fins sink like bricks, so they're heavy fins. That's why the DR's are one of the preferred sidemount fins.

You shouldn't have had that many issues with trim, though in a drysuit it is certainly much worse if you have a drysuit and light fins. A lot of this stems from the way the stab jackets lift is designed. You have a boat load of lift at your hips to pick the weight belt up, a floaty butt in the AL80, and almost no lift at the shoulders, so it's a recipe for nose diving.

In a BP/W the problem mostly goes away, and you see tanks sitting much higher. The twin cam band design, combined with how high the first cam band usually is, requires the tanks to be a lot closer to your head than a stab jacket where you can almost have the valve so low that the valve is in the middle of your back where you can reach it by going down instead of up. Bad news all around.

As for valve shutoffs, important for 2 reasons. #1 is actually valve turn on, lots of people jump into the water with their air not turned on all the way. Most DM's check for this, but it still happens all too regularly. #2, it's better in the advent of a freeflow to shut the tank off to prevent any damage to the tank if it aspirates water, same with the valve and first stage, just not a great idea to let them blow. Plus it is super irritating to deal with if you're sharing air on ascent. Makes a lot of noise, is a huge distraction, and for surface support can make them rush around thinking there is an actual emergency down below. A freeflowing tank or second stage at 60+ feet of depth creates one helluva roiling surface with expansion. Much safer for everyone if you can reach the valve and shut it off, especially if you are sharing air with someone and it isn't an emergency condition.

I went through this exact same issue, not surprised at your concern. i finally got fed up hitting my head an dropped the tank a little. Not to the extremes you are talking. I am also using big steel tanks.

The DiveRite fins are neutral in the water, so they qualify as light fins, Jet Fins sink like bricks, so they're heavy fins. That's why the DR's are one of the preferred sidemount fins.

You shouldn't have had that many issues with trim, though in a drysuit it is certainly much worse if you have a drysuit and light fins. A lot of this stems from the way the stab jackets lift is designed. You have a boat load of lift at your hips to pick the weight belt up, a floaty butt in the AL80, and almost no lift at the shoulders, so it's a recipe for nose diving.

In a BP/W the problem mostly goes away, and you see tanks sitting much higher. The twin cam band design, combined with how high the first cam band usually is, requires the tanks to be a lot closer to your head than a stab jacket where you can almost have the valve so low that the valve is in the middle of your back where you can reach it by going down instead of up. Bad news all around.

As for valve shutoffs, important for 2 reasons. #1 is actually valve turn on, lots of people jump into the water with their air not turned on all the way. Most DM's check for this, but it still happens all too regularly. #2, it's better in the advent of a freeflow to shut the tank off to prevent any damage to the tank if it aspirates water, same with the valve and first stage, just not a great idea to let them blow. Plus it is super irritating to deal with if you're sharing air on ascent. Makes a lot of noise, is a huge distraction, and for surface support can make them rush around thinking there is an actual emergency down below. A freeflowing tank or second stage at 60+ feet of depth creates one helluva roiling surface with expansion. Much safer for everyone if you can reach the valve and shut it off, especially if you are sharing air with someone and it isn't an emergency condition.

AH good to know. My feet are like boat anchors anyway so that might be why I like them over the jets I had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I don't like to hit my head but do like to have valve access.
Solution, tank in neutral position, crotch strap on BC.

Ok so I have been looking at some photos for the past 3 months and I was bothered by something on quite a few of them. I could not figure out why until I saw a photo in Dive Training that had the same issue.

It seems like most of the photos I have seen, the divers, are wearing the tank way too low. There is no way to reach the valve unless they are Stretch Armstrong or Gumby. It looks like the tank is about to slip right out.

Now that I had found that issue I have started to notice it being done at different dive locations that I go to.

Am I missing something here? I wear my tank centered where if need be I can reach the hoses, first stage, and valve. I do not bump my head even when looking up. Can someone explain this to me as it looks odd and is kicking in a little of OCD madness.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Just for you I am going to lower my tanks even more just to irritate you further.

moon.jpg

So who appointed you the scuba police? You like the tank banging your head and shoving you face forward, enjoy, I prefer to wear my tanks correctly with the valves centered between my shoulders.

N

Just for you I am going to lower my tanks even more just to irritate you further.

moon.jpg

So who appointed you the scuba police? You like the tank banging your head and shoving you face forward, enjoy,

N

***EDITIED*
I was asking why I see it so much and if there was a reason for it. Where did I say I was bumping my head? No where.

It was a simple question because I saw it a lot and wanted to know the reason behind it. It is not for me but Just for gaining a little bit of extra knowledge to why I see it a lot.

No reason to be rude.

MODS: PLease lock this topic

Last edited:
I saw that picture in Dive Training. I think that tank was gonna fall out. The strap was on the edge of the taper in the tank.

I saw that picture in Dive Training. I think that tank was gonna fall out. The strap was on the edge of the taper in the tank.

There were tanks in that picture?

moon.jpg

So who appointed you the scuba police? You like the tank banging your head and shoving you face forward, enjoy, I prefer to wear my tanks correctly with the valves centered between my shoulders.

N

Please forgive me OP.

I did bang my head a few times.

but, and sorry!!!! Oh God I am crying now.If the one second from the left put the tank hahaa, up a little more and went into a tail up position, ROFLMAO. Sorry me bad, but I did not post it hehehe

Back
Top Bottom