Where Are Your Arms When You Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It feels like I have to work to keep them in-front of me the way I see in a lot of pictures. I'm still having trouble keeping my arms in one spot, but when I can, I like them at my sides. It's the most comfortable :)

I prefer to do a little MC Hammer/Vanilla Ice style bustin' moves....

10358550_10205456194912077_519172817031788326_n.jpg

Removed.... Duplicate.

1965034_10203172247367894_1125847266_n.jpg

This is pretty typical. I can't maintain the Bob Sherwood position, with the upper arm in line with the torso, and be comfortable. This much bend is comfortable enough to maintain for long periods of time.

I normally hold my arms something like that too. I'm not stuck on it though. As far as I'm concerned, if you're not sculling, just do what's comfortable.

As for the Bob Sherwood position. If it is what I think you mean, It seems to me that it's more a result of over thinking a trim issue than something that flows from being naturally in trim to begin with.

R..

I often spearfishing and this requires the same type of looking all around and being able to spin and check your back (for sharks).. a long time ago, I decided that horizontal was not the best position for this activity. Same for an ascent position, you have much better visibility and mobility if you are vertical versus flat.

I always got a lot of amusement about how people on this forum worry so much about perfect trim (or even where their hands are)..My hands always have something in them, so how to hold empty hands is not something I consider very often.

Perfect trim is like perfect weight, it depends on what is right for the dive plan, not adherence to an absolute model.

Bob
------------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

When I have to go through someplace small, I can do better:

1087_10151235221814216_1153469447_n.jpg

But that's not fun for long, so if I don't have to be that flat, I'm generally not.

My hand position varies, depending on what I'm doing.

Swimming hard to push through some current flowing over the reef? At my sides, trying to create as small a surface area as possible as I flutter kick.

Cruising over the reef and navigating? Held forward as in TSandM's awesome manta picture, so that I can continuously see depth and course and time on my wrist mounted gauges as I frog kick along.

Hovering motionless watching turtles? Probably crossed over my chest.

Coming back to shore with strong surge and waves behind me? Straight out, like "Superman", to "fend off" any large rocks and protect my fragile noggin.

Use the position that works best and is most comfortable for what you are doing at the moment. There is no "right" or "wrong" here.

Best wishes.

When I have to go through someplace small, I can do better:

1087_10151235221814216_1153469447_n.jpg

But that's not fun for long, so if I don't have to be that flat, I'm generally not.

oohhh... those knees.... :wink: better than they used to be but.... :wink:

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom