New to doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The tank boots add a few pounds to the rig out of the water as well. Best to remove them.

The Faber Lp 85s do get light in the tail as they're drained. A tail weight will help offset this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic, that looks like WhiteCliff, right? Or Porteau cove? Was the LDS owner Greg M?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whytecliff indeed, it was a good dive until we had to walk up the hill, haha. And yes, I'm speaking of Greg (Did you guess by the bald head?)
:chuckle:
A tail weight 1-2kg can be really great for getting your nose-to-toe balance right.
Lumb Bros Vee Tail Weight -- Divers Warehouse | Scuba Diving | Snorkeling | PADI Training | Learn to dive | Learn to dive Leeds | Learn to dive Bradford

Shutdown drills: After the 1st try my shoulder ached for 3 days, next time it was sore a day, after that I could do it no sweat.
Flexibility is something you can teach your limbs, even limbs aged 40yrs and more ;-)
As you can tell from the picture, my tanks are pretty tall so it's easier to reach the valves, plus still being a kid, flexibility isn't an issue, :p. No need for tail weight it seems, I didn't have any struggle with balance.
I dove with tank boots on my tanks, in fresh water only, for about 60 dives. When I took the boots off, the paint had bubbled up because the Faber boots are snug against the tank and don't properly drain water. There is the potential for rust to form underneath the boots.

My recommendation would be to remove the boots, even though it's more of a pain kitting up.
Good point, boots are coming off!

Underwater photos from Sunday. :)

1800014_10205265602903542_1282749153071754404_o.jpgvlcsnap-00001.jpgvlcsnap-00003.jpg

I have quite a few tanks, including 2 doubles sets with boots. All drain just fine and show no signs of rust. I check under the boots maybe every 3-4 months. These tanks are 4-7 yrs old, used often, in low-saline seawater maybe monthly and generally receive no rinsing of the tank. The tanks are kept in areas that are dry and relatively warm and I've had no signs of surface damage whatsoever.

I occasionally get pressure to take the boots off apparently mostly because it's not cool. I'm not greatly moved by that arguement.
I think not having tank boots is a pain in the neck (only about 18" lower). The tanks don't stand (yes: secured, not just standing) or lean as reliably and bare bottoms risk denting and scratching many surfaces including wash room tiles, and my household's wood floors, and the wood surfaces on many boats. Boots serve a good purpose and if you aren't actually diving in caves or other confined spaces you don't need to take them off just because some folks think they aren't cool.
I'm not 13 anymore.

Greg's great, I've known him for about 15 yrs now. I still enjoy white cliff when I get to the mainland. Congrats and keep diving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen some awfully rusted tanks due to boots never being taken off. Some I've had to condemn. It sounds like your mileage varies but... that doesn't mean that rust due to tank boots/salt water doesn't happen. Besides, tanks without boots easily lean up securely against something and many others would berate you/people for leaving tanks standing up on their own (at least they do for singles).

I have quite a few tanks, including 2 doubles sets with boots. All drain just fine and show no signs of rust. I check under the boots maybe every 3-4 months. These tanks are 4-7 yrs old, used often, in low-saline seawater maybe monthly and generally receive no rinsing of the tank. The tanks are kept in areas that are dry and relatively warm and I've had no signs of surface damage whatsoever.

I occasionally get pressure to take the boots off apparently mostly because it's not cool. I'm not greatly moved by that arguement.
I think not having tank boots is a pain in the neck (only about 18" lower). The tanks don't stand (yes: secured, not just standing) or lean as reliably and bare bottoms risk denting and scratching many surfaces including wash room tiles, and my household's wood floors, and the wood surfaces on many boats. Boots serve a good purpose and if you aren't actually diving in caves or other confined spaces you don't need to take them off just because some folks think they aren't cool.
I'm not 13 anymore.

Its not about "cool"...

...many others would berate you/people for leaving tanks standing up on their own (at least they do for singles).

Would berate with excellent reason. That's exactly why, as I mentioned, they are also secured.

I suspect the difference is that our seawater is so fresh you can drink it, and the tanks get rinsed in fresh

This Thread has been Reopened...

water within days, and I do remove the boots and check for problems at regular intervals. I was never careless, but the bare bottoms caused damage on several occasions. I've been very happy with the boots, even if they do require some extra maintenance.

Take a Intro to Tech course :)....its money and time well spent with a great a instructor.

As for tips...verify the manifold is open BEFORE your dive. This will prevent a false Out Of Air situation.

I use a vindicator handle on the isolation part of the manifold so I can visually identify if it's open or closed. Sometimes people who fill your tanks will close the isolator for unknown reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom