12-50 Oly Lens -- Software Controllable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm finding all the uncertainty about buying the M77 port kind of interesting.....yes it costs more than a normal port, but considering the overall system cost, the difference is just a few hundred dollars and is hardly noticeable. The ability to easily flip back and forth in a second or two between motorized 12-50 zoom and 43 macro is terrific.

The 12-50 is not a contender with the 60mm macro due to its inadequate focussing when in macro, this limits it as a fish lens. I was hoping it would be versatile lens for most situations that I photograph. On land it is good enough, underwater without the M77, it is either a basic macro or 14-42 equivalent (providing you pay $150 inc shipping for the zoom attachment). Hardly a versatile lens for UW photography.

I use the 12 - 50 all the time for UWP and I have had no issues with it for either focusing or any other and until recently I had it in the standard port for the 60mm macro with some gears I had made with a 3D printer (from Wetpixel) which cost me nothing and it did a vary adequate job. So before every dive I had to decide if I wanted to shoot macro or go so some wide to medium angle but it wasn't that bad.

I now have the M77 port for it and I use it more than I do the 60mm macro. Yes the 60mm macro is a dedicated prime lens so it will always out perform the 12 - 50mm in macro but I can't always use the 60mm due to the conditions I dive in so I use the 12 - 50mm more.

Also the 12 - 50mm comes as a kit lens whereas you have to buy the 60mm separately, therefore IMHO the 12 - 50mm is a good lens for those on a budget or who want some versatility, but it is each to their own, for me it works well as a good all round lens.

If I could have only one lens I would choose the 12 - 50mm because I dive in poor conditions where the vis on average is 4m so the 43mm macro allows me to get closer than the 60mm macro does for those slightly bigger critters I encounter where I would be too far back with the 60mm and therefore have a lot of dirty water between the lens and subject.

Attached is an image taken with it in macro mode - 13-02-24-10.jpg

With it at 12mm - Busselton%u00252BJetty-4.jpg

At 50mm with a +3 wet lens - Busselton%u00252BJetty-9.jpg

Karl

Hi Karl - I would have loved to buy the Nauticam but my mean pocket did not get near it. I am starting to wonder why I upgraded from the E-520+50mm macro+14-42, I should have done more research into what suited me. I love the E-M5 as a camera, I use it for U/W and bird shots, with the occasional happy family shot.

Unlike you, I dive in the tropics with clear water (mostly) on 2 trips a year for a week at a time. I will use the 60mm macro for 70% of dives and occasionally use the 12-50 as I enjoy macro mostly.

How did you get to print the focus gear? Did you need engineering drwg's? Interesting.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2014 at 03:39 PM ----------

I'm finding all the uncertainty about buying the M77 port kind of interesting.....yes it costs more than a normal port, but considering the overall system cost, the difference is just a few hundred dollars and is hardly noticeable. The ability to easily flip back and forth in a second or two between motorized 12-50 zoom and 43 macro is terrific.

If you have read Foxtrot16 and I on this thread you would be strongly tempted to buy the Nauticam and the M77. I have the Olympus and I will make it work for me but if you want the full use of this camera and 12-50 lens you should lash out on the Nauticam.

Hi Karl - I would have loved to buy the Nauticam but my mean pocket did not get near it. I am starting to wonder why I upgraded from the E-520+50mm macro+14-42, I should have done more research into what suited me. I love the E-M5 as a camera, I use it for U/W and bird shots, with the occasional happy family shot.

Unlike you, I dive in the tropics with clear water (mostly) on 2 trips a year for a week at a time. I will use the 60mm macro for 70% of dives and occasionally use the 12-50 as I enjoy macro mostly.

How did you get to print the focus gear? Did you need engineering drwg's? Interesting.

---------- Post added November 27th, 2014 at 03:39 PM ----------

If you have read Foxtrot16 and I on this thread you would be strongly tempted to buy the Nauticam and the M77. I have the Olympus and I will make it work for me but if you want the full use of this camera and 12-50 lens you should lash out on the Nauticam.

I knew someone who had one and he did it for me plus one of my mates works in CAD design and his work place has just got one.

Here is the post in Wetpixel - Print-it-yourself zoom gear (Oly m.zuiko 12-50mm lens) - Unrequited Gear Lust and DIY Projects - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums - you just need to go to his website where he has the design to get the file.

As I said it is a compromise lens and for someone starting out or on a limited budget it works great and in capable hands you will get good results.

I have just got back from a week in Tulamben - stayed at Liberty Dive Resort - and for most of the dives I used the 60mm macro lens and it was great but on a few of the dives I still used the 12 - 50mm because I couldn't decide what I wanted to shoot :confused: and it worked great.

I don't have a dedicated wide angle set up for the EM-5 so I just use the 12 - 50mm at 12mm when I want to try wide angle.

Karl

why oh why doesn't Olympus or zen put out a port for the Olympus housing

Deeper thoughts - I guess they've selected not to make a gear due to the trouble with the macro and FN buttons, placed in a bad place for a gear.

Peter Guy - I guess the right people to do it could be these Guys: LightSnow Dev
It would truely be easier than my HW hack.

There is a housing made by Meikon that allows you to use the zoom of the 12 - 50mm - you still can't access macro mode but for the price it looks good - Meikon 40M Waterproof Underwater Camera Housing Case for Olympus OMD EM5 12-50mm Lens | MeiKe Store

I have no idea if it is a good housing but there have been some decent reviews on it and there are some YouTube videos of it.

Karl

I've boought that housing.
Impressions so far:
It doesn't leak. It's no ergonomic wonder, but I can operate it wearing dry gloves with inner gloves, which wasn't always true for my Oly housing for e-pl1.
The gear works, best in manual zoom, but OK in motor zoom mode (motor zoom mode is needed for my macro mode by magnet lens-hack to work)
The left side rotaty button doesn't work on my copy. a new rubber part is in the mail.
General impression is slightly lower (finish etc) quality than Oly plastic housings.
There is a top and bottom latch. Probably a good extra security, but a bit annoying.
No centre mounting hole (the latch is centre), so I can't use my cheap sea&sea plastic tray. (without modification)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom