What can I expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Doing your own thing" could be interpreted at least two ways...one of which is not advisable at your current experience level.

Maybe your girlfriend is able to mentor you, teach you how to drift dive and watch out for you. If not, a private divemaster your first day to teach you the ropes of drift diving in Cozumel may be very valuable to helping you enjoy the remaining dive days.

Reality: People do die diving in Cozumel. It appears to be a small number annually but my opinion is that non-medical deaths could be reduced even more. Exactly what is needed to reduce those deaths in just conjecture but better training in drift diving may help. Having at least one diver of a buddy team well experienced (possibly through rescue diver training) is a positive and adequate checking to eliminate separation should also help.

If you decide to go out with blue xtsea, please let me know. I am going in mid January with them and would like to know your opinion from a new divers perspective. I'm also interested in the subaboard invasion of hotel cozumel, pleaselet me know what u think of the hotel and the dive op u go with.
ThanksAdam

Hello all, new to diving and SB. Booked my first trip to Cozumel for the middle of December '14 and decided to finally get my dive cert. I'm doing my open water and dry suit in a quarry here. What can i expect? What dive shops do you recommend as I think i would like a small group and we would kind of like to do our own thing.

Blue Angel, Tres Pelicanos, Aldora or Blue XTSea in no order.

What can you expect? To have the time of your life! I did my first dives after open water in Coz and keep on coming back for more!

Welcome to the Coz forum where people tell you their favorite operators altho few give reason why you should buy what they buy.

There are few bad Ops on Coz. Be sure to carry your own sausage even if you don't use a reel yet.

water temps are near 80 degrees year round (you can leave the dry suite at home ... ;-) ), in Jan. you do risk the chance of a 'Norte' (a winter storm coming in from the north), which can close the ports or at the very lest cause vis to be decreased and currents to be stronger.

we drift dive, if you don't already know that. Most dive ops will pick up at most hotels south of downtown. Aldora divers, one of my top reco's, is located north of town, but they have their own dive op and boats, so pick up is not an issue.

if you want to "do your own thing" I'd recommend one of the more independent dive ops, BlueXTSea, ScubaTony, BottomTimeDivers, Tres Pelecanos, Dive with Alison, but since you are a novice diver and never been diving in Cozumel, I'd forget that notion and go with the DM/Instructor's recommendations on the boat. How can you "do your own thing" when you've never been here and don't know where you're going or where TO go?

We personally stay and dive with Blue Angel, a very popular dive op and hotel on the island, but see the link below for short list of recommended dive ops. This list pretty much covers the price and service range you will find on the island.

also, if you have about a 1/2 hour, see "tips on finding a dive op on Coz" link. I made an independent survey, asking MANY questions of folks here on the board and fellow divers I know, plus my 30+years of diving experience and almost 20 years of diving Cozumel, and came up with this segment for The Shark Tank radio show. There is actually a Dive Report from last Jan. included in that segment.

tips on finding a dive op on Coz

a short list of Cozumel dive op recommendations

happy diving & welcome to the family!

Personally I must have a beach surface interval. Sitting on a boat between dives is not my idea of a good time. Several dive ops make a beach surface interval. Aldora, Blue XTSea, probably Liquid Blue and Living Underwater, Alison (verify with any if a beach stop is important).

Someone I dove with years ago beached south of Playa Palancar. I recall walking down a sandy road/trail to get to the banos. Several actually stay at a beach club long enough to have a meal. That is also to allow longer dives with 120 cu ft tanks.

Given that you may only dive three days and you are there during winter (norte season), the ability to dive the east side with Aldora is worth considering.

If your sweetie is not able to effectively give you the pointers on drift diving, then a private divemaster the first day is also advised. I got that idea from the Blue XTSea website a year or so ago and suggest it often for new divers to Cozumel who could benefit from the added guidance.

Last edited:
Ron- Allison does not do a beach surface interval (at least she didn't the week I dove with her) It was about 50/50 between sitting on the boat or stopping at the big concrete pier (can you walk to a beach from there? I heard there were flush toilets somewhere). But even when we stopped it was never for too long as a good part of the SI was a leisurely drive place to place.

Welcome to the Coz forum where people tell you their favorite operators altho few give reason why you should buy what they buy.

There are few bad Ops on Coz. Be sure to carry your own sausage even if you don't use a reel yet.

---- and why that op would be a good match for you, as though everyone thought alike.

Ron- Allison does not do a beach surface interval (at least she didn't the week I dove with her) It was about 50/50 between sitting on the boat or stopping at the big concrete pier (can you walk to a beach from there? I heard there were flush toilets somewhere). But even when we stopped it was never for too long as a good part of the SI was a leisurely drive place to place.

Err.... That big concrete pier is attached to a beach, right there where the water stops. Its the bit with all the sand.

The flush toilets are just down the beach at Playa Palancar, the restaurant.

Back
Top Bottom