Cozumel Rookie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always always always were a wetsuit. Even in Palau with 85 degree water I got chilly after a few days of 4 dives a day in a 3mm fullsuit.
It all depends on how much you move around, and for me drift diving means very little movement so I get cold faster.
Feb-March water temps, anything below 80 degrees, would be a 5mm fullsuit and a beanie on my head. Yes. really.

And I have NEVER been too warm on a dive... if I were, I would just pull the neck out slightly and flood the suit. Problem solved. On the other hand, I have been cold on dives, no way to fix that. Better to wear the suit.

I've been to Cozumel several times in January. I would bring a 3 mil. I suspect water temp around 78. I'm sure you will see plenty of larger marine life. I have seen spotted eagle rays, octopus, plenty of turtles and morays, occasional shark.

C. Where is the best Pina Colada in town? Not sure, I typically have Margaritas
D. Any "must go to" bars or excursions? Coconuts, need a car, it is on the east side of the island. Margaritaville is also good, but pricey.
F. Are night dives generally available? Coz night dives are great, AOW not needed, definately join one.

Hope you have a great time

In December my husband and I dove in 3 mm wetsuits and were comfortable. We use them locally (Iowa) in the late summer and they work to keep us chilly instead of freezing. I would have been cold in cozumel without one. If your wife gets cold suggest she brings a fleece or something to wear on the boat between dives. There were a number of shivering women last year (especially those that dove in shorties).

Aldora provides dive jackets between dives.

What is that saying: "Happy wife...happy life."

New folks reading CVChief's posts need to be able to pick out the nuggets of wisdom interspersed among tales of fanciful and creative lore.

New folks reading CVChief's posts need to be able to pick out the nuggets of wisdom interspersed among tales of fanciful and creative lore.

Gee, I thought that was pretty straight forward. Ooh I, I love the night life, I got to boogie on the disco 'round, oh yeah!

And wetsuits, smetsuits!

Thanks for the detailed information regarding cantinas, I've heard the resort we are staying at (secrets) is a little rundown and I love going out and playing with the locals. It's gonna be a long 89 days until i get down there. Thanks again!
That's the thing about staying at one of those south end resorts; you are a long way from the locals. It's a $20 cab ride to town, each way.

Thanks for all the helpful information. To clarify a couple things I'm going with a group looking to spend most of their vacation intoxicated and a few of us will dive as well. The hotel has already been chosen (by the non-divers) so no wiggle room there. I typically only wear a wetsuit when diving in Lake Michigan but my wife tends to get a little chilly even in the caribbean. I'll tell her to bring her 3 mil and she should be good. Thanks for the detailed information regarding cantinas, I've heard the resort we are staying at (secrets) is a little rundown and I love going out and playing with the locals. It's gonna be a long 89 days until i get down there. Thanks again!
I glanced at TripAdvisor to be sure not too much has changed. Yes, a couple disgruntled posts said it was rundown but the vast majority were very positive. Given that it was entirely remodeled only two years ago, I doubt you'll find it rundown at all. However, since the remodeling is on Mexican time, some of the rooms are apparently still in their original state. They re-did the Preferred Club rooms first and they have the best location/views, so upgrade if possible. My room there was as nicely furnished and pristine as any 4 star hotel in the U.S., anything but rundown. That was June 2013, doubt they've declined too much since then.

The bars were excellent at the resort. I'm sure you'll be able to get a fine pina colada there and your friends will easily be able to intoxicate themselves all day.

IMG_0317.jpg
D. I'd stay away from the places nearest the water where the cruise ship people go. Unless you want to be with a bunch of drunk, crazy people wearing balloons on their heads.
Ahh you mean like this, the balloon heads:

Each to their own when it comes to wetsuits....

We'll be there in a couple weeks doing 5 days straight of the long dives with LU, and I'll be in a 5mil full suit. Like robint said, I have NEVER been too warm on a dive.

What is that saying: "Happy wife...happy life."

Probably the most important piece of advice, to follow.

I'm not overly concerned about the property. If it's not up to par, I guess I'll do more diving. No worries.

p.s. There will definetly will not be a balloon on my head......probably won't be.....doubtful.......ahhh what the hell, gimme a balloon crown!

p.s. There will definetly will not be a balloon on my head......probably won't be.....doubtful.......ahhh what the hell, gimme a balloon crown!

Go ahead and do it. Make sure that you get photos in case you decide to run for president.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom