Spare Air- good for diving or not?

Which of these best describes you?

• I am a new diver (0-25 dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I am a new diver (0-25 dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I am an intermediate diver (26-100 dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I am an intermediate diver (26-100 dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I am an experienced diver (101-500 dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I am an experienced diver (101-500 dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • I am a fish (500+ dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I am a fish (500+ dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 51 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a few thousand dives and have never considered a Spare Air... just not enough capacity to get me up from the depths I often dive to. A good pony is my best friend (and I don't mean the four-legged kind).

However, if your diving is largely limited to reasonably shallow dives (above 60-70 ft) and you do not approach your NDL, it could save your life if you can't make an emergency ascent from those depths... and even if you can, it will make the ascent much more comfortable. I've made emergency ascents from 80 and 90 fsw when I didn't have a pony and they were not fun.

I want to see if there is any correlation between claimed level of experience and support for spare air.

From the dozens of threads posted over the years, we already know that there is a miniscule correlation between the two. If you could disable comments and posts in the poll, it may be worthwhile - otherwise, the same old same old clowns (like me and everyone else here) are going to flame/entertain each other with tales of suitability only for helicopter pilots and doubling them up with heliox for real use. Sigh... Do you really think that this "poll" is of any worth?

Do you really think that this "poll" is of any worth?

Of course it is, for two reasons: (1) I get to do something other than work; and (2) I've gotten to read your posts. :)

I think it's too small for scuba diving, however it would be better than nothing should you have an emergency.

Go with a full on side-mount/pony set up if your looking for redundancy.

A spare air canister will only be able to save your bacon in a situation where an OOA drill would save you. At any depths/overhead environments other than a shallow depth you are Far better using a pony/sidemount.

I feel the problem is not with the Spare Air, it is just a tool, but with the people that sell it giving unrealistic expectations and the divers that believe the stories...

Some will go on about about it being a POS just because it is not the right tool for the job they want to have done. Let's face it, using that line of thinking, a 30cuft pony is a POS, if you need 70cuft of backup gas in your pony on your dive.

Skipped the poll.

Bob
-----------------------
This space for rent.

Last edited:
I have regularly practiced free ascents from 100-150' since I started diving over 50 years ago. Therefore a spare air would be “adequate” to get me to the surface.

I believe I can do a free ascent from those depths as well. I therefore agree that a spare air is adequate because I can continue with a free ascent after it puts me OOA for the second time on that dive.

My feeling, though, is that if I am going to end up doing the free ascent anyway, why not just dispense with it and count on my ability to do the free ascent in the first place?

I believe I can do a free ascent from those depths as well…

I am certain that you can, it is much easier than people are lead to believe. Of course it takes a little practice and an acute awareness of embolism. I have never had to do a free ascent in anger, but knowing I can gives me great calm. Knowing deep in your soul that you can just dump everything when it all goes south and see sunshine again is priceless.

… My feeling, though, is that if I am going to end up doing the free ascent anyway, why not just dispense with it and count on my ability to do the free ascent in the first place?

That is basically what we are doing when we don’t have a redundant gas supply in conditions were staying close to a buddy is not “stake your life on it” dependable.

Just to reiterate, I am not a supporter of the limited capacity of the Spare Air for Scuba divers, but it beats nothing for those that might not have the experience and skills to get back without it. The margin can be too small for too many situations.

Last edited:
Spare air is good for snorkeling, AL-30 is my option and is about the same amount of money with a lot of more air A LOT MORE.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!! You could just watch your gas and never put yourself in that kind of situation. Follow the rule of 1/3's and you should never have a problem. 1/3 in 1/3 out 1/3 reserve for emergency. Plan your dive and dive your plan!

Back
Top Bottom