Spare Air- good for diving or not?

Which of these best describes you?

• I am a new diver (0-25 dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I am a new diver (0-25 dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I am an intermediate diver (26-100 dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I am an intermediate diver (26-100 dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I am an experienced diver (101-500 dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • I am an experienced diver (101-500 dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • I am a fish (500+ dives) and I think that spare air is useful for scuba diving

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I am a fish (500+ dives) and I think that spare air is not useful for scuba diving

Votes: 51 41.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rule of thirds is appropriate for some dive situations, but not for most recreational dives. There are a number of ways to plan for appropriate gas reserves so that one will not run out of gas on a dive...

Amen. The truth is that the great majority of recreational “dive plans” involve meandering around following whatever looks interesting and surfacing when a computer starts whining, either due to cylinder pressure or NDL limits. Hopefully the location where you surface isn’t too far from your desired exit, on the beach or boat ladder. Divers get better at navigation planning after a few long and unpleasant swims… unless they happen onto something especially interesting or just screw up.

What works in 50' of water off Bonaire and many Southern California beaches isn’t prudent for deep offshore dives on New England wrecks. Limitations that are appropriate for a new OW diver may not be for a very experienced and capable diver. As much as some people would like to change it, one size does not fit all.

I think spare air's provide a false sense of security at depths that divers may go. They are way too small to be of any practical value. The problem I see is people using them may think they are much safer than they really are allowing the diver to become complacent about their capabilities.
I'll agree to the previous posts and state that a much better solution (if a diver chooses to have a redundant air source) is to use a pony with enough gas to make a proper timed ascent from the deepest planned depth, or a set of doubles with the thought in mind of always reserving enough [-]emergency[/-] extra gas for a proper timed ascent from the deepest planned depth.
With this in mind there are never emergencies, just inconveniences and maybe a dive cut short.

Last edited:
Great idea. Lets take someone with no training and give them compressed air at depth. What could possibly go wrong ??

Yes you are right, but I'm speaking for my self, I will use it for snorkeling, in case I see something interesting a little beyond of my capacity of holding my breath, but be realistic, a Spare air is 280$ a 30cf pony is 130$ a regulator for that tank 150$, same price and a LOT MORE AIR, you do the math deep down there and see what will last longer.

Those are some pretty astounding percentages against the Spare Air! Reminds me of Chicago voting.

I have mixed feelings on this type of product. On one hand, in some specific situations, it can be a useful tool. Although if you find yourself in a situation that 3cu of air isn't enough, well the product is pretty damn useless.

A spare air could certainly help you get through a CESA. Especially if you exhale at depth and find your reg won't deliver any more air. It could also give you enough time to get the attention of a buddy if he/she is more than an arm's reach away.

On the other hand, there are a lot of situations where 3cu of air isn't going to be enough to get you to the surface safely. What if you have a decompression stop? What if you take a few seconds to react? What if you're stuck and need time to get unstuck?

For $260 it's way too limiting. If they were around $100 I would considering getting one just to have it in my dive bag. If you have an extra regulator or buy an inexpensive used reg, you can set up a pony of any size for cheaper than a Spare Air!

If you use a Spare Air, are you permitted to wear your mask on your forehead? Perhaps we should have a poll. Will accomplish the same thing as this nonsense and could be even more entertaining.

The poll answers are too limited. I think the spare air is of very limited usefulness - but it is useful and It's easier to carry than a pony. Still I prefer a small (13cf) pony. Should I go OOA at 130' I can take my time, do a regular ascent and safety stop and still have a couple of minutes left when I hit the surface. Can't do that with the spare air. However, I'll take a couple of extra breaths over drowning anyday.

If you use a Spare Air, are you permitted to wear your mask on your forehead? Perhaps we should have a poll. Will accomplish the same thing as this nonsense and could be even more entertaining.

Don't just talk about it - start the poll! I promise to comment. :)

Back
Top Bottom