Offended??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're not a nutcase. The concern is valid:

Randy Fry was diving for abalone when he was attacked and killed by a 6-metre-long shark last Sunday.

http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/sharkdeath180804.shtml

"Shark attacks on divers are extremely rare, and the majority involve divers who are spear-fishing."

Wristshot:
Lou,

Gee, I sound like a real nutcase. Sorry. I got no problem with guns or hunters, I just don't want them around large groups of people. Have you seen how stupid people can become in large groups?

W

There was no blood in the water when Randy was attacked. To my main point, I think it would be ridiclous for anyone to be offended by the diving style of anyone else on a cattle boat. For you to expect that not one single person will do something that you don't favor on a cattle boat is just unrealistic. People need to realize that with that many people on the boat, there are bound to be idiots (not to imply that being a spero makes one an idiot). So the chances that someone will offend is great. Divers on these boats need to accept that things will not go their way, if you want a private charter, pay for one.

As others have stated, concerned is the more appropriate word for me. I dove recently from a cattle boat with no spearfisherman aboard, in fact, being new, I had never seen anyone underwater spearfishing before. However, the site we dove on, a wreck off NC coast in somewhat limited viz, approx. 20 feet at best, had spearfishermen from another boat already on it when we got down there. I was concerned as I didn't want to be mistaken for something else, I wasn't sure how far a shot would go, and in general just did not know enough about it (or what precautions the spearfisherman take to avoid shooting another diver) to feel comfortable.

There was one instance where my dive buddy did not initially see the spearfisherman above him and I wasn't sure that the spearguy saw my buddy as his spear gun was pointed downward in somewhat the general area where my buddy was swimming through (I was about five yards behind). Fortunately both saw each other, but they ended up very close together and I hoped I wasn't watching an accident about to happen. What is the range of a spear anyway? :)

Lauren

I understand the majority of the reasons against, but as a spearfisherman for the last 25 yrs (Freediving and Scuba)I've to say that it all comes to the individual diver.

I take my spear whenever it is allowed in the boat, that's my third question to the operator before booking (1. where, 2. how much $, 3. Can I use my Speargun) the trip.

If the operator says no to the gun then I decide if I want to go or not. Every diver (Spearo or non Spearo)should ask this question before booking (Spears allowed or not) and then decide if they want to go or not.

I'm sick and tired of people that want to impose their will, just because they don't like certain activity, just make sure in what you're getting before getting into it.

I've known a couple of Dumb heads that tried to handle a spear just for the macho feel, but the vast majority (about 99% maybe more) of Spearos are very concious about this kind of dive and manage the spear with the most care posible and in a very Safe Mode.

I usually like to jump first with my buddy and get away from the boat so the other Divers won't scare the fish.
If posible, the operator can drop me in a diferent area and it would be better.
Because I jump first, I'm usually out the water first, when the other divers aboard the boat, usually I allready had changed tanks and my Spear is tucked away in it's designated by the operator corner.

There was no blood in the water when Randy was attacked. To my main point, I think it would be ridiclous for anyone to be offended by the diving style of anyone else on a cattle boat. For you to expect that not one single person will do something that you don't favor on a cattle boat is just unrealistic. People need to realize that with that many people on the boat, there are bound to be idiots (not to imply that being a spero makes one an idiot). So the chances that someone will offend is great. Divers on these boats need to accept that things will not go their way, if you want a private charter, pay for one.

Justin just hit the nail !!

Outlaw14:
As others have stated, concerned is the more appropriate word for me. I dove recently from a cattle boat with no spearfisherman aboard, in fact, being new, I had never seen anyone underwater spearfishing before. However, the site we dove on, a wreck off NC coast in somewhat limited viz, approx. 20 feet at best, had spearfishermen from another boat already on it when we got down there. I was concerned as I didn't want to be mistaken for something else, I wasn't sure how far a shot would go, and in general just did not know enough about it (or what precautions the spearfisherman take to avoid shooting another diver) to feel comfortable.

There was one instance where my dive buddy did not initially see the spearfisherman above him and I wasn't sure that the spearguy saw my buddy as his spear gun was pointed downward in somewhat the general area where my buddy was swimming through (I was about five yards behind). Fortunately both saw each other, but they ended up very close together and I hoped I wasn't watching an accident about to happen. What is the range of a spear anyway? :)

Lauren

I am not trying to attack Lauren personally, but wanted to use her words as example of a common problem non-hunters have. Most fear stems from ignorance, and as it pertains to this topic, the fear from non hunters stems from ignorance about sharks, ignorance about hunters and ignorance about how hunters operate. I feel I am pretty informed being a hunter myself, but even I will concede that to be around some people with spearguns or any weapons is scary, but these are the people without respect for the weapon they carry and frequently have a lack of education on how to properly use it. These are far and few between. Do not let ignorance lead you to irrational fears, just because a spearo is in the area does not mean you will be shot or eaten by a shark!

Justin699:
I am not trying to attack Lauren personally, but wanted to use her words as example of a common problem non-hunters have. Most fear stems from ignorance, and as it pertains to this topic, the fear from non hunters stems from ignorance about sharks, ignorance about hunters and ignorance about how hunters operate. I feel I am pretty informed being a hunter myself, but even I will concede that to be around some people with spearguns or any weapons is scary, but these are the people without respect for the weapon they carry and frequently have a lack of education on how to properly use it. These are far and few between. Do not let ignorance lead you to irrational fears, just because a spearo is in the area does not mean you will be shot or eaten by a shark!

I agree that I am ignorant about spearfishing (I might have chosen the word uninformed as perhaps less inflammatory, but that's just me :) ) However, I did ask at least one question in my post so that somebody who had a moment could perhaps inform me a little more. I believe you took the time to bold my question :) Would you mind providing an answer?

And while I trust that you know a lot more about it than I do, how can I determine those few and far between spearfisherman that even you acknowledge do exist that don't respect their weapon or how to use it? Will I be able to pick them out some way? Again, I clearly don't know, so if someone has the time to tell me about behavior of those that may not respect their weapons or have the education to use them properly. This way, I agree that gradually, with knowledge, the concern may diminish.

Is there some place I should be going to seek out this knowledge on my own since it wasn't covered in my OW class and it's not listed as a topic for my upcoming AOW class? I thought this forum might be the perfect way to start learning. If another thread already exists I would be happy to be redirected :) Thanks for any additional information that you can provide to lessen my concern.

Lauren

Lauren, your question is certainly worthwhile and an answer can help you be less apprehensive about being around a speargun.

The average speargun that you would normally see someone with would have an effective range of about 15-20 feet MAX. These spearguns would normally have a 10+ foot line attached to the spear, and are called line guns. Even in poor visibility I find it nearly impossible to not know exactly where my spear is going when I pull the trigger.

Another type of gun is the freeshaft gun which will not have a line on the spear hence the name. Freeshafts have greater range, but are generally used with less power from the powerbands and the shots are carefully taken so that the bottom will stop the spear from going all the way through the fish. The average guy on a cattle boat that has a speargun would most likely not be free shafting either in my opinion.

I would never hesitate to be around folks spearing, but would hesitate to go on a cattle boat. I've been in far more danger from undertrained, dimwitted divers smashing into me, kicking my mask off my face, stepping on my toes and gear, etc.

A friend and I ran into some problems on a lake recently while doing some speargun testing. An "instructor," who was teaching some sort of class on the same end of the lake as us, became verbally upset that there was even a speargun in the same lake as him and his students, never mind that we told him we were finished. That was ignorance at it's best.

On another note, I think I am more scared of some of these "instructor" types imparting their will on everyone whether they know what the hell they're talking about or not. Certification cards only mean that there is less room in someones wallet, and are no measure of a good diver IMO.

deadend:
Lauren, your question is certainly worthwhile and an answer can help you be less apprehensive about being around a speargun.

The average speargun that you would normally see someone with would have an effective range of about 15-20 feet MAX. These spearguns would normally have a 10+ foot line attached to the spear, and are called line guns. Even in poor visibility I find it nearly impossible to not know exactly where my spear is going when I pull the trigger.

Another type of gun is the freeshaft gun which will not have a line on the spear hence the name. Freeshafts have greater range, but are generally used with less power from the powerbands and the shots are carefully taken so that the bottom will stop the spear from going all the way through the fish. The average guy on a cattle boat that has a speargun would most likely not be free shafting either in my opinion.

Hey thanks for taking the time to explain how it works a bit more for me. I am feeling better knowing that I don't have to worry about stray spears coming through the water from 40 feet away :) Knowing the rough range too can help me steer clear and not mess up someone elses fun too.

Thanks again.

Lauren

Lauren:

I respectfully recomend that you find a friend that is a Spearo and dive with him/her a couple of times, maybe that way you will understand the dyinamics of a Spearfishing dive, that way you can decide if you want to be around them or not.

You can feel more confortable by staying behind the Spearo and give him space to maneuver.

Enjoy your dive , Dive Safe

Mandy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom