Xen or Petrel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's an odd comparison--bottom timer vs. deco computer. Xeo vs Petrel would be a more reasonable contrast, in which case it would partially depend on which algorithm you want to run. The Petrel can run VPM, but the Xeo has full RGBM from a third party. Both come with Buhlmann GF. I like the Petrel interface better, but the Xeo/Xen is more compact.

This is DIR forum. I guess the op is only using the gauge mode of Petrel?

I like the bright screen and look of the Petrel, but don't get what justifies its high price tag. Especially if you're only using it as a bottom timer; at that point it's more Rolex-style bling bling.

Certainly an expensive gauge/BT.....but the Petrel's practicality is far beyond the screen and the look. The reliability, support, easy-to-source batteries, dive log capability, wealth of information, etc are all great reasons to get a Petrel over a Uwatec or Xen. Is it "worth" the money? It wouldn't be to me, but then again I don't dive BT/tables....so I wouldn't know. If it is to someone else, their money is buying a lot more than a good screen and rugged good looks.

I own a Petrel, nice computer, I took it up to 130m. I have an ostc too, but that cannot be used deeper than 120m, so that was a risk when doing deeper dives. And if you want more than just a bt, you already have. :D I have dived with bt and pragmatised plans up to 112m (I had no computer then), but now I will always use my computer as backup. If you follow the plan, your computer will never give a problem.
I know more divers that use the Petrel as bt in a DIR-course, and use it as computer after it.

Petrel, used both and find the Petrel much better for viewing in bright sunlight. Also bright enough to allow your buddy to easily read it from a distance. Can use any type of battery compared to special battery. Have one Petrel and will get another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom