tg-3 pt-056 filter questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is it possible/best to fit a red filter to the camera tg-03 inside the pt-056 housing or is it not possible and the red lense has to be fitted to the housing? Looking to buy filter and housing but don't know whether to buy the red lense for the camera or the housing or both?

Is it possible/best to fit a red filter to the camera tg-03 inside the pt-056 housing or is it not possible and the red lense has to be fitted to the housing? Looking to buy filter and housing but don't know whether to buy the red lense for the camera or the housing or both?

As stated in the other post - it is highly unlikely that you will be able to fit a filter to the lens of the camera and still have room inside the port so you will have to fit it externally to the port.

Also just fitting a red filter may not give you the results you are looking for as you need to be doing custom white balances with the filter to get any sort of decent results - a strobe will produce far better results.

The internal strobe may not be power full enough either and depending on the water conditions / visibility may actually make it worse.

Karl

I do have a video light, a tovatec galaxy up to 2500 lumens could I use this for photos as I have only used it with an intova action cam so far and my pics are not great (probably down to me).
Would it be ok to use a combination of the light and filter at the same time or would it turn out too red? Sorry as you can tell I am a total beginner and don't have the opportunity to get in the water that often to practice. Cheers Steve

You can easily tape a "gel filter" to the camera lens. You will not be able to take it off or put it on during the dive, though.

Threaded filters that screw on to the housing cost more, but you can unscrew them when needed (for example your dive plan changes and you go so deep the filter cannot help.)

No, you cannot mix natural light and your video light, they have two different color balances. There are some cyan lights that you can do that with, but they're pretty expensive...

You camera/housing takes an external M55 red filter for blue water diving. But the TG-3 in it's native underwater modes has color correction built-in that's not bad.

Jack

Back
Top Bottom